Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction on this one?

My car came in boxes and as a result I’ve put together the handbrake as best I can. However the handbrake is rather tight (even when on it’s slackest option) and causes me problems with the offside rear wheel, causing it to bind. OSR meaning on the right side of the car when viewed from the rear. It is however, just to confuse you, it's a right hand drive, however I assume it's the same underneath!

I notice that the handbrake assembly (where all the cables meet) can’t move any further to the right to give me more slack as the nut on the diff/rear axle gets in the way. I don't know if the assembly should sit right up against the diff? I’ve attempted to highlight the problem area in the photo, however it's a bit grubby under there!

I'm more than happy to be told that I've installed it completely incorrectly as I guessed my way through it. Can somebody point me in the right direction & let me know if it looks about right?

Many thanks

Devs

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Devs
A check on how your brakes are assembled on their backing plates might be prudent. Improper installation of the flat plates which affix the wheel cylinders can cause problems with the parking/emergency brake.

Here's a recent write up by Bill Gillham on another Forum ...

Are the plates that hold the cylinder correctly installed and lubed, this cylinder must be able to move back and forth freely.
I have seen the plates installed so they dug in and caused the problem you describe. Check the parts book blow-up for correct installation.

From memory: The plate with the two upturned points goes on the bottom facing the E brake lever, The small "U" shaped plate also faces this way and is on the top -
the plate with the two notches goes in between them facing the other way until the up turned points seat in the notches, then the rubber dust shield snaps over the whole mess.
I lube along the area under the plates.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks guys, mine looks to be installed in a similar fashion (although not quite as clean) so I'll check the way I've installed the plates that hold the wheel cylinders as per GTD's reply.

Is it possible for you to post a piccy of how your backing plates are assembled as I don't have a blow up parts book? The brake cylinders do move freely, however if I'm lucky I've installed them incorrectly!

Thanks

Devs

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Giulia Spider rear brakes

Devs
Attached are a few pics which should give you the correct sequence of assembly.
After checking that - you will want to correct your routing of the handbrake cable.
The multiple pics above demonstrate that your cable presently goes over the rear axle tube. The correct manner is below the axle tube. This may be contributing to your problems.

Since you've been posting questions regarding your brakes for ... a year now ... perhaps it would be worth investing in a CD or hard copy of a Giulia manual. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blimey hell GTD, you're right. My 1st handbrake post was in Jan last year! Sometimes I surprise myself at how ridiculously slow I am at achieving anything, I figured the Alfa would be a quick fix to get back onto the road as a running resto...... badly mistaken! A case of too many toys I think.

I had a 66 Beetle that took me 14 years so I hope I have the Alfa completed well before 2024!

I do have a repair manual, however it’s not anywhere near as detailed as the piccys you’ve provided, so many thanks for that, greatly appreciated.

I’ll have a look for a more detailed book as it looks like I’m seriously going to need it.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Devs, are the RHD handbrake cables the same as the LHD ones? All mine are LHD so I can't offer any advice. However, looking at the RHD Giulia Spider parts book there is an alternative number for the handbrake cable! Could this be the problem? Speedy Cables will make up a longer version for you.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks George, I'll pick up one of the Centreline manuals shortly, which should make my life much easier. I figured that all manuals would be as useless as the one I have, however the images disprove this so I'll purchase one.

Stuart, I've just ordered a replacement handbrake cable from AlfaStop, which was part number:101.03.42.030.00 & also the additional cable to the left rear wheel - part number: 1365.63.801, so I'll wait & see how these fit & take it from there. The website didn't mention any difference between LHD & RHD. Are these the same part numbers you have? Thanks for the Speedy Cables hint, I'll bank that for the meantime.

ta

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
The RHD cable has a number 101.09.43.032.00 I can't comment on your number. Tony will give the length before he sends it I am sure, so that you can make a comparison with your existing cable.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's such an unusual occurance......however when it goes right, it is fantastic!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts