Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On one side of my rear axle the clip that the handbrake cable grommet attaches to is missing. I've just had the brake dust shields replaced at a workshop and I'm pretty sure they've left a part out on that side when reassembling. The photos show each side. Am I right and if so how does the missing part attach? Anyone got any photos of that part?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,699 Posts
Yeah, looks like flared lip is missing from the upper. Can you see on the lower how it attaches?
Andrew

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Andrew no that was my question really - is it part of the plate (and broken off) or a separate plate, or does it just clip into the plate?
Thanks
Martin

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
it is a pain to get the dust cap on to the cable without tearing it, if the new handbrake cable does not have one already fitted! (original alfa handbrake cables have it pre-fitted, many aftermarket cables do not!)
You need to place the dustcap in hot water to make it more flexible, as you are trying to fit a rather large attachment soldered onto the end of the cable through a tiny hole in the dust cap!....otherwise it will simply tear!

EDIT: oops! Sorry, I see your problem now, the flange itself is missing from your first photo, I thought that was just the other side of the same axle.

This photo of an ate rear plate here doesn't show it as part of the plate itself, so it must be a separate part?...but I can't find a photo of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks to me that the missing part might have a circular base to fit into the circular impression in the backplate, and be nipped in with a punch - see the two little impressions in the upper photo. Can anyone confirm this or otherwise? At least I'd know what we're looking for.
Thanks again
Martin

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
my guess it comes as part of the support plate (item #4 in diagram). Never seen one separate, or the support plate without one! But it must be separate as it is (if I remember when I last did my rears) a tinny sort of metal, compared to the support plate itself, which is heavy duty cast.

someone with an old support plate hanging around, might be able to check if it just punches out...something like you suspect?

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah looks right to me - and yes, different metal altogether.

Do you have the annotation to the pic above? Am I looking for part #5 or is that the rubber grommet/dust seal for the handbrake cable?

If so it must have fallen out. If anyone does have an old backplate maybe they could confirm rather than it being a separate plate squeezed between 6 and 4.

I hope it's as we think, so I can just nip a replacement in from an old spare if I can get hold of one. Or even better the workshop finds it.

Martin

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Do you have the annotation to the pic above? Am I looking for part #5 or is that the rubber grommet/dust seal for the handbrake cable?
don't think it is #5, as that says "QTY required 4" on the parts diagram....not sure what that is, tbh!
The part you need is not listed separately.
this parts listing below is for the S4 (what is yours? S3 or S4?)

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For future reference this IS a separate little metal bracket with a circular base that fits into the matching recess on the support plate.

I now have a replacement for my missing one (phew!), along with a full set of genuine hen's teeth.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
good to know.

do they just push into place, or did you need to somehow 'peen' them?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They were originally peened in as per the marks in the picture. The replacement was a loose fit behind those though so I made good with a little JB Weld having had no luck with a punch. It only has to hold the rubber grommet in place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts