Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the purpose of the hand throttle?

I read in an ancient review from the 60s that it is supposed to be used to warm the engine before going for a drive. - as the car (according to the review) should never be driven before the engine has reached its normal running temperature.

These old Alfas are obviously not suited to a quick getaway.

Mind you I don't need any quick getaways so I'll now always heed the advice.

·
Administrator
17,619 Posts
I would not advise letting the car sit to warm up - even with a fast idle. I like to start the engine, check the mirrors, fasten seat belt, make sure oil pressure is good (all that takes 1/2 minutes or so) then drive at moderate speeds for 5-10 minutes. That will warm up the engine quicker and also warm up the gear box & differential & tires. Much better than letting it idle for 15 minutes.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sound advice Eric.

But I think I will adhere to the 2 minute warm-up recommended in Autocar of 1975:

"The makers were unusual in laying more stress than is usual on warming the car up for two minutes or so before moving off - a hand throttle was provided for the purpose"

Does any one know of any other use for the hand throttle?

·
Registered
195 Posts
The manual in my 1981 says to use it while driving those first few minutes and to not shift into fifth gear until the engine is up to temp. I actually follow what Eric said and keep the revs down until warm.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,596 Posts
It mainly for when you have the car on jack stands and want to keep the revs up while you are under the car listeing for noises or checking for leaks. Otherwise jsut drive it easy until it's up to temp. just my 02

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
It mainly for when you have the car on jack stands and want to keep the revs up while you are under the car listeing for noises or checking for leaks. Otherwise jsut drive it easy until it's up to temp. just my 02
I use mine. Its usually been sitting a week or so between drives. The webers ide at ~800ish at operating temperature--when cold at 3 or 400ish and sometimes I almost hear mysterious noises in the engine so I set the idle to 1200 or so with the throttle, run upstairs and get most ofwhat I forgot when I came down and when I get back, jump in, take off and remember the throttles on halfway down the drive :rolleyes:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also found this in a contemporary roadtest of the Spider in "Motor Sport" magazine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
... Cruise control

Nullabor plain, Hay plain... That stretch between Goondawindi and Dubbo. Past all the speed cameras near Goulburn.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
There are plenty of warnings posted on the BB here; never use the hand throttle as a cruise control. It's not meant as such, and none of the safeties built into a proper cruise control are present in the hand throttle.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Do any of the S2 spiders have a switch located under the steering column? Was this used for cold starts as well?

·
Registered
270 Posts
In terms of the Spica injected cars....

My preferred cold start procedure is to set the hand throttle at about a quarter of the foot throttle travel. Crank the engine until it starts. Adjust the hand throttle down to a manageable cold idle speed (1200-1500) for a few moments after which the car can be driven. As the car begins to register temperature on the gauge the hand throttle can be closed and the T/A can take over.

Most of my cars have started and run well with this procedure.

·
Administrator
14,001 Posts
So to clearly answer the OP's question, the hand throttle was indeed installed in our Alfas to help with engine warming up.

Whether we use it or not does not matter, that is what Alfa Romeo intended it to be used for. We should remember that oils back in the 60's were nothing like todays stuff.
Pete

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Do any of the S2 spiders have a switch located under the steering column? Was this used for cold starts as well?
Some owners of Spica-inducted Alfas retrofitted their cars with a switch to bypass the cold start solenoid. Now that there is much more info available for Spica and they're better understood, most drivers remove the retrofit in favor of making proper repairs and adjustments.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts