Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have discovered that my handle throttle rattles annoyingly when my foot is off the pedal. Obviously, keeping the pedal to the floor will solve this, but I do have to shift and brake occasionally! ;-)
The issue is the cable end rattles in the loop of the throttle linkage (on the engine side of the firewall). I hesitate to put a spring on the cable end, or anything else that could cause the throttle to jam open. And ideas? How were these originally, was the cable just floating in the loop of the linkage?
Carl

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Yes, the cable just 'floats' in the loop. However, ensure that the cable locking barrel is a few millimeters in front of the loop. If the barrel is touching the loop, this could be the cause of the rattle.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim. I has some space there, maybe 5mm, I was thinking that maybe it was too far away! The sound was the cable itself rattling, remarkably loudly. I have been considering putting a small spring between the loop and the locking barrel, but I worry about this snagging somehow. I think I'll just refasten it all together, and hope that my fiddling somehow has readjusted the "harmonic frequency". ;-)
Carl

·
16,232 Posts
Couple things you might try. Slightly bend the cable at the firewall so that it is either in the center of the loop or hard against the loop. Also, and I don't know if this is relevant, but is the end of the cable straight? Every stock/unmolested cable I've seen is bent into a square some (guessing here) 14 or so millimeters per side. Don't know if this has anything to do with vibration or if Alfa did this to be different. In the attached pic of a stock Euro GTV, the square cable end is visible in the lower right.

Attachments

·
16,232 Posts
Yes, the thought crossed my mind about a grommet. But I don't recall ever having seen one. I'll check the parts books tonight.

·
Super Moderator
10,174 Posts
I like rogerspeed's idea of putting something non-metallic between the two parts.

If a grommet isn't feasible, how about a bit of shrink tubing around the wire? It may be hard to get it around the end that has been bent into a triangle/square (I shaped mine into a little cross & serpent) - I suppose the brute force solution would be to pull the whole wire, install the shrink tubing from the lever side, and then reinstall. Applying a bit of electrical tape would provide a temporary fix (heat from the exhaust will turn the adhesive to gum pretty quickly), but it would be a "proof of concept".

These vibrations can drive you nuts - the little lid on the tunnel-mounted ashtray on my Duetto rattles. Dunno why I installed the *&^%$ thing in the first place - it isn't as if I would smoke in the car.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually had a couple grommets, but it seemed finding the right one to fit would be hard. Duct tape was my first idea, but I vetoed that as having potential to jam the throttle.
If my re-twisting of the wire doesn't work, I may just snip it off. It's not like I find the hand throttle useful. Better to have none, than one that might jam because of a silly anti rattle project.
C

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I had cars with this part installed. No reason to manufacture the loop with a hole that large unless there was a bushing/gromet installed. A good hardware store will have a selection of gromets. The outside dimension of the gromet is the diameter of the hole in the loop. Living back east daily driving Alfa's with factory Weber's a hand throttle was nice for getting the engine up to operaring temperture; the only problem of course, as it warmed up, have to back a couple times so it wouldn't rev too high, but at least didn't have to sit in the cold car for 5 to 10 minutes when it was 10 degrees outside.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts