Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I bought a 1966 GT Veloce in September, that was recently restored and equipped for regularity rallies.

Over the course of the (UK) winter I am making it a more viable fast road/track car.

Having rerouted the fuel line to a more traditional path and removed the timing and nav equipment I am now removing the hydraulic handbrake and reinstalling a standard mechanical handbrake. To date I have determine I have one crucial missing item that none of the usual suspects stock.

There appears to be a block mounted on two studs on the axle/diff. The studs are in place, but no block. I have the block measurements 65mm length x 13mm depth x 23mm height, but also need to know the positioning and size of the (3) holes.

Alternatively a decent picture will do (and I assuming no one has a spare!!).

Many thanks

·
Registered
1968 1750 GTV USA Bianco Spino
141 Posts
Hi

I bought a 1966 GT Veloce in September, that was recently restored and equipped for regularity rallies.

Over the course of the (UK) winter I am making it a more viable fast road/track car.

Having rerouted the fuel line to a more traditional path and removed the timing and nav equipment I am now removing the hydraulic handbrake and reinstalling a standard mechanical handbrake. To date I have determine I have one crucial missing item that none of the usual suspects stock.

There appears to be a block mounted on two studs on the axle/diff. The studs are in place, but no block. I have the block measurements 65mm length x 13mm depth x 23mm height, but also need to know the positioning and size of the (3) holes.

Alternatively a decent picture will do (and I assuming no one has a spare!!).

Many thanks
Don't know if it's the same as early GTs had slimmer axles but don't think they bothered with the handbrake.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I don't know if it matters, but is your car fitted with ATE or Dunlop brakes? I have a loose axle with ATE brakes and I could get you the details over the weekend if nobody else has them.

Anybody with a bunch of used spares should be able to part with this block. You could try Classic Alfa, they have used parts.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if it matters, but is your car fitted with ATE or Dunlop brakes? I have a loose axle with ATE brakes and I could get you the details over the weekend if nobody else has them.

Anybody with a bunch of used spares should be able to part with this block. You could try Classic Alfa, they have used parts.
It has ATE brakes - car is someway from original.

I have tried Classic Alfa, Alfaholics and Veloce Sport. All no joy. Details over the weekend would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I actually found I have an extra one.

From the left, the center of the large hole is at 11 mm, then +25 mm to the first small hole center and +20 mm to the second hole center with a remaining wall of about 4 mm. It doesn't add up as you have to add half a hole = 4.5 mm.

My block is 64,5 mm long, ca 22 mm wide and 12 mm thick. Nothing in there is super critical.

The large hole is for a .470'' clevis pin which sounds like 12 mm nominal. I didn't take it apart, but the corresponding hole in a lever is .480''. You want a fairly tight sliding fit. This one could be a ***** to drill as you need a 12,2 mm bit, no inch size comes close.

The two smaller holes are for 8 mm studs with a lot of wiggle room at .335'', almost but not quite 9 mm.

I could always send you this one but it will be mostly shipping fees... shipping across the pond from Canada isn't cheap.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Yves.

Good friend of mine made one for me.

Everything is now fitted to the car.

However the main cable hangs down a lot and there is no tension. It is fitted on the suspension arm and routed under the axle to the pivot points.

What is the routing/support from the handbrake handle fork to the suspension arm?

There is a large metal cylinder at the front of the cable (ie near where the cable attaches to the handle fork) - does that provide for adjustment somehow?

Appreciate ongoing help.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If it's too long maybe it's from another model. Stock should run just right to hang on the right trailing arm.
Spiders and maybe Berlinas have different length.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there nothing that supports the cable from handbrake fork (front) to the trailing arm?

My suspicion is a bracket may of been cut off my car, as it was used as a rally car and had an hydraulic handbrake.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Have in mind this is wrong size as well it was also too long and I have since replaced it with a correct part. It was probably from a spider.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It attaches to a tab on the trailing arm only. The tab can be seen in photo but it's not attached as it was warping then.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I'll speak with Classic Alfa in the morning. Invoice states right part as does packaging.

Any idea what the right length is?

·
Registered
141 Posts
They stock GTV part so just ask for that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Or to understand your question better, I gather your already ordered from them and it's longer than it should be?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Correct, ordered all the parts from Classic Alfa. Fitted cable today and it hangs down excessively and there is no tension.

Cable is routed and attached to rear suspension arm as described.

Cable being too long seems a possible explanation. Frustrating if I have been sent the wrong part.

It would be good to know what length is correct.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Although I have ordered 99% of my nuts and bolts resto from Classic Alfa and I'm fully satisfied (bar an error here and there that they rectified without any hassle) I ordered this part from Veloces. Classic Alfa Romeo Parts
Neither of them lists lengths but what I got was just right for the car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought I would check everything again and share some images of the installation. (Note split pins not fitted in clevis pins, given everything may need to come off!! Tell me if anything looks off. This is will the handle pulled up.

Is there adjustment on the steel cylinder? I have wound the nut on the front end of it anti clock wise (not the lock nut) and I think it has made the cable a little shorter. However there is no tension in the cable with the handle pulled up, and no hope of moving the shoes.

I am still also perplexed by the routing given the metal cylinder pulls (loosely) up against the floor pan and doesn't naturally follow the transmission tunnel.

Alfa work.jpg
IMG-1714.jpg

·
Registered
141 Posts
Is it my idea or your missing the chassis attachment point for the adjustment cylinder?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is it my idea or your missing the chassis attachment point for the adjustment cylinder?

There is nothing to attach the cylinder to. I wouldn't be surprised if it was cut off given the car was fitted with an hydraulic handbrake when last restored.

Can anyone provide some images of the "attachment", so I can work out a way to fit the cylinder. I am assuming the positioning will be quite critical.

Ongoing help is appreciated.

·
Registered
141 Posts
There is nothing to attach the cylinder to. I wouldn't be surprised if it was cut off given the car was fitted with an hydraulic handbrake when last restored.

Can anyone provide some images of the "attachment", so I can work out a way to fit the cylinder. I am assuming the positioning will be quite critical.

Ongoing help is appreciated.
It's visible in my photo above. I seem to recall a member here with a similar predicament to yours. Try searching the forum.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts