Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was crawling under the car last weekend, scrubbing for underbody painting, and noticed my hand brake cable looked sad. Actually, I know it's sad because it jams if I leave it set for more than a weekend.

Anyway, it's basically a bike cable, at least my appearance. Just a few feet long, connected to a bracket looking thing on the brake. Right?

So, instead of spending $50 on the part from the usual supplier, couldn't I just walk over to my corner bike shop and get some bike cable/guide and fabricate or adapt the connecting bits? They make some hardcore, high-tensile cable that will NOT stretch for mountain bikes and it's WAAAY cheaper than the "official" part. The bike shop owner drives an old Willys Jeep and we talk about old cars and projects, so he was actually the inspiration for this idea.

Wishful thinking?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Wishful thinking. Blow the cobwebs off your wallet and get the proper cable. I have an extra used one in great shape if you want. I lost my brakes once going downhill in the Blue Ridge Mountains outside of Roanoke, Va and my hand brake got me out of a big problem. Safety first!

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shoot me a PM about the cable? Mine is always getting bound up, and according to HeavyMetalAlfa, this is a Very Bad Thing.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Make sure first if your calipers needs attention before the cable. It is a pain in the butt job to replace the cable.

Giorgio

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I'm re-attaching my hand brake cable at the calipers after a rear end removal. I've forgotten how the cable goes it, or rather what is the order of things, including the accordian rubber sleeve/cover. Can someone snap a shot of their calipers and cable from their car, please? Or maybe a shot from the manual. I have the Haynes, but I have misplaced it during this last part of the rebuild and cannot find it right now.

Thanks,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts