Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my S4 CE sight unseen from Ric, great guy, at RMS Alfa in Daytona. It has 38,000 miles and is a gem. It's so nice that I figured I could rationalize buying a less nice, high-mileage rescue as a summer driver. (I live in Michigan). There may have been beer involved, but no excuses, I pressed "send" and a week later a dandy '91 S4 spray and flip rolled off the truck from a used car dealer whose "ASE Certified" mechanic used the words "pristine" and "great" to describe it - for a shiny bargain car, delivered, those words alone should have scared me. When it rolled off the truck, I was surprised to see a very decent repaint and reupholstery. I went through it, sorted out what I could find and fix myself, then drove it to my mechanic for the rest. He fixed a fairly long list, nothing too major, When I picked it up, he reminded me it was very low on gas so I stopped and filled her to the brim. With the top down, and a cautious smile, I started the drive home. Hmmm. I smelled gas. The aftermarket gas cap didn't fit right and as I was thinking maybe that was it. Then, I noticed blue blinking lights behind me. I wasn't speeding, so maybe I had a bulb out? Nope, coolest cop ever just wanted to let me know that he loved the car but, um, gas was "pouring" out and maybe I didn't want to explode. Good point. Back to the shop where the first mystery was solved. When I had filled the tank, it apparently busted out the bondo the used car smile balls used to patch the gas tank. Seriously. The patch was on the top of the tank so you wouldn't see it without dropping the tank. This has to be a contender for hall of shame repairs! On the road again, and with the first list of issues fixed, so far, it's actually a pretty decent car for 120,000 miles. Except for the non-power steering - let's hope they didn't use the rest of the bondo to attach the front end.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
it almost looks as though someone neatly cut a 3 sided flap out of the tank for access, then bent it back and tacked/bondo'd it closed.

car didn't come from Columbia by any chance?.....;)

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
That does kinda look like a drug thing. I don't know if the cops do it for new owners with indemnity, but a sniff-out by a drug dog on the whole car might be nice for piece of mind.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
MACCO can do a very good paint job.. you just do a really good prep job on the body,, the paint they use is a lot better than what came with our cars ( 84 spider )

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That does kinda look like a drug thing. I don't know if the cops do it for new owners with indemnity, but a sniff-out by a drug dog on the whole car might be nice for piece of mind.
I hadn't thought of that but it's an excellent idea. I can't imagine why else they needed to get such large access to the tank. The car isn't from Columbia but it is from Miami. The cop here who pulled me over has been really helpful. I filed a complaint with the State of Florida and he got me the MVR tape from when he pulled me over to show the gas leaking. Bet he'd hook me up with a sniff-out.

Here's another pic:

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts