Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Alfa Brothers (& Sisters)!
Well, The hood latch receiver on my '69 GTV 1750 broke & I had some sheet metal cracks around it, so I had a local restoration shop weld it all up, reinforce it & install my N.O.S. latch receiver. After a little adjusting, my hood finally stayed closed. Problem is, the very first time I tried to open it, the cable went slack! I'm not sure if the cable broke, but it felt more like it just came loose. The problem is I can't open it at all! Has anyone had this happen & what is the best way for me to open the hood without sheet metal damage? Anyone have a trick or two?
Your help is much needed & appreciated.
Lloyd

·
Super Moderator
11,578 Posts
We finished a long thread on this subject a month or two ago.
My comment was "HA!" as it happened to me on my Alfa, and my Ferrari 275GTB about 2 years apart. Fortunately the Alfa broke first. This was years ago, but I've now grown my right arm 10" longer than my left to deal with this issue in the future.
More seriously, this is a PITA. You need to read through the earlier thread. I built special tools from steel rod to reach the latches and trip them to open. There are other solutions.
Read the thread.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gordon, thank you! By the way, the Ferrari 275 GTB is my absolute favorite car, barre none! I'd love to see a pic...:thumbup:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: I got it open! Gordon, thanks for the suggestions on searching for a thread. I got to a great one my second try & got my hood released in about three minutes! The cable wasn't broken at all. The latch just had so much tension on it, the pin couldn't rotate & release the latch. I'll shim the latch receiver so that it sits a little lower & puts less tension on the latch pin. That should solve the problem.

·
Super Moderator
11,578 Posts
We value threads like this on the BB. Particularly from those that admit mistakes and then spend the effort to share the resolution. With any Italian car, or for that matter about any car, there are "issues" that happen to owners. Seldom is that individual the ONLY owner that has suffered a particular "issue", and by sharing our problems, we all also can share in the solutions.
Only my opinion, as usual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts