Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come across this before? Gunk has accumulated around the oil pump on my 1750 engine - see picture attached. Also, the bearings are worn down to copper. Might this be as a result of the performance of the oil pump being compromised??? However, the pistons and liners look in reasonably good condition. I have only recently purchased the car, and suspect that synthetic oil has been used. I wonder if the synthetic oil has flushed all that gunk from elsewhere in the engine and it has accumulated around the oil pump:confused:

Ollie

Attachments

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I'd check that stuff for metal particals, the bearing material had to go somewhere. That also looks like the stuff you'd find in an engine that didn't have regular oil changes.

Also, with that kind of blockage, I would think you noticed a lower than normal oil pressure?

·
Super Moderator
11,689 Posts
Rebuild time

Gifford has the right track here;). Time for a rebuild any way. Gunk could be bearing material, or crank ( :eek: ), old silicone gasket sealer or who:confused: knows? If p / L are ok after giving the block and oil passages a GOOD cleaning, check my old thread on oil pump rebuilding. It is possibly history as well, or soon will be. The fixed gear shaft will wear oval at the bottom of pump base, with matching wear on the gear bore, and lower housing. Keep us informed of your rebuild progress! :DGordon Raymond

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Would that have been accumulated by a blown head gasket and running the engine for a period of time without changing it?

·
Super Moderator
11,689 Posts
Aluminum oxide, bearing material, pump guts material, all the trash in the radiator and whatever stop leak someone put in to stop the gasket leak. Oil turns to shaving cream like goo with antifreeze in it. A POOR lubricant. This froth, can be quite clensing to the inside of a running engine if you don't mind the damage. Sort of steam cleans it from the inside. (UGH!) Long term leaking of antifreeze into combustion chambers of a running engine results in a characteristic pitting of the combustion chamber and piston crown as they oxidize away under heat and pressure. Not good.
Gordon Raymond

1 - 5 of 5 Posts