Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey 105 group

Still finishing up my Giulia and it's pretty close and satisfying.

I've had the car a over 20 years and the clock has never worked. I've got a fair amount of little electrical things going now, The "B" pillar lights, the cig lighter, emergency flashers etc... But since these cars have suck nice dashes. I'm invested in making this clock work. In the end, I got it out by serially first lowering the heater controls, taking out the cigarette tray, the radio, and then slid the speedo forward, giving me access to the two screws and out the clocked popped, into my hot hands

The hot wire into the clock is still hot, when I bench test the clock with a power probe lead to the hot lead and ground the back case, the clock does not move. I carefully bent the back side of the chrome ring (somebody had done this prior at least once), and once off the plastic lens fell apart (I think this was glass originally), but I got it down to the plastic dust cup/shield covering the mechanism. See photos but the plastic hot lead is still there, three small brass bolts are protruding, one with a small nut at nearly flush level.
Questions:
1. How do I get this dust cover off. Any advice on this step.
2. As per earlier AlfaBB threads on clocks, I will try to clean it carefully with watch cleaner solution, and then if working, try to sparingly oil important points.. And advice on this step
3. If I get the clock working (hopefully) any thoughts on the glass or have Tap Plastic make a slightly curved lenses. Any other advice.

Appreciate any help on this quest.
Clem

clock c rubber cover.jpg
Clock cover side .jpg
clock c rubber cover.jpg
Clock cover side .jpg
clock face w.o glass.jpg
clock plastic face.JPG

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wowza. For the heck of it I contacted Palo Alto Speedo. Nice folks, still fixing stuff, but they say with a few less folks in house. But got this reply from Hartmut, who is the boss.

Thank you for the photos. We are no longer able to offer service or repair of these electric Veglia clock movements. From my experience, even well cleaned, these clocks can be difficult to get adjusted to keep accurate time. There is always re-bushing of pivots to be done. Without new parts, we just can no longer offer repair.

We are only able to offer conversion of these clocks to quartz. I am sure that we could have a plastic lens cut with a hole at our plastic fabricator. It would however need to be flat.

The quartz conversion is done using an original Veglia Borletti quartz clock movement. The cost is $695.00 + shipping, and due to our current workload of clocks conversions, the turn around time is about 6 to 8 weeks. The look and connections will stay the same.

I would need to check with our plastic fabricator to ask about the cost and lead time for the replacement lens. Can’t imagine it could take more than 3 weeks, and cost maybe $75.00 + shipping.

Ok, that is a bit much $$. I'm going to carefully pull off the dust cover, and try to clean it myself with clock cleaning solution and clock oil which was an idea from an earlier clock repair thread.

If anyone has a lead on quartz clocks that we can order online and do myself, LMK. Greatly appreciated.

- Clem

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I have plans to my clock eventually too. I look forward to someone selling internal quartz mechanisms that would fit.

·
Premium Member
21,671 Posts
I don't seem to have the email any longer, but someone told me once that when these clocks have issues, it's usually corrosion in the points, internally. Get it apart, see if that makes sense?

Tom Sahines works on instruments, you might check with him.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
We have clock/watchmaker in the local chapter of the club that used to fix these all the time.But I remember and article where he said they often just gum up on the inside and stop working. Hopefully a clean will get it going again. I may have a parts clock in the shed, will check later and see what the glass is like. I'm sure its better than yours... I am lucky to have one working clock. Just have to fit it. I might try your method of accessing it.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
guess what, mine too does not work. I have been looking around to find a remedy so will be watching this thread for sure! DJ

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
It's funny - mine works intermittently, it is a source for entertainment, I usually announce it to my kids: "Clock is working!"...... then followed by "Clock is not working!"
(I'm actually optimistic, that once I get it out - it might be a matter of cleaning since it does move on it's own power - when it wants to)

·
Registered
6 Posts
The clock in my Giulia Super seems to function somewhat randomly. It runs continuously for days, stops for weeks, runs again for minutes, stops again, etc. It seems to function best, with the engine running just above idle (possibly exciting a mode in the clock mechanism). It brings joy to the driving experience to suddenly hear it ticking and see motion in the hands. I recommend a watch, to accurately knowledge of the time.
Dave

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
From what I've seen and heard, the non-working Super clock is pretty much standard equipment. I view it as "sacrificial nonfunctional" -- you can never have everything working at the same time in an Italian car, so it might as well be the clock. Kind of like zincs in a boat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts