Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Giulia Spider Normale, 2015 4C
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Guilia Spider has been sitting for many years. Nearly 40 years in fact. Its turn has finally come. I removed the gas tank drain plug to drain the old fuel. The filter material surrounding the drain plug was plugged and has deteriorated. I have not found a replacement plug available. Does someone have an idea how to rework the old plug with new filter material? What type material would work as a wrap to create a new filter around the drain plug? Hope this question makes sense.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for helping me find what I thought was unavailable. Its been visible from the top, just always something else getting in the way of getting it back on the road. We will see where this all heads.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Just asking. Lots of junk in there that can head to the carb(s) obviously. Did the tank stripping and liner recently, so there are definitely things to consider. I like my original tank after spending about half of what a new stainless one cost, but I’m not sure ease of mind with a new tank shouldn’t have been on my budget list of must haves.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I repaired mine with brass or bronze cloth, not sure which, from McMaster-Carr.
It took me two tries. First time to find the cloth melted almost as easily as the solder. Note too that there is an o-ring in the end plate that slides over the fuel pipe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Barn101 - I am picking my tank up tomorrow after having it stripped and coated. The tank was is good shape, so I hope this process cleans it out and protects it. Thought about a new stainless tank too, but decided to strip and coat.
@30931 - I am checking out McMaster-Carr for brass wire cloth. Looks like a good solution for the drain plug screen.

I appreciate all the helpful input.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Word of advice about the in-tank round baffle surrounding the pick up tube and screen that bit me: The coating inside the tank probably filled in okay internally for mine, covering most of what it was supposed to, but it also filled in the flat rectangular holes at the bottom of that round baffle. The sealer acted like a dam around it, not letting any gas get to the filter screen. I had to open the tank's cover for the tank sending unit, pulling the sender out for a peek. This was a troubleshooting effort after putting two gallons of gas in and not getting any down the line to my filter for my first engine start, even after compressing a little air to the tank to push it. Sure enough, the in-tank filter screen area was dry as a bone inside that baffle.

I'm siphoning out the gas this weekend, then picking through the bottom of that baffle to open it up. Unless your tank cleaning guys blew out the line and that area AFTER the coating, you may have the same problem. Check it out, its easier to check when off the car. Maybe use alcohol or something that evaporates to see if it gets to the screen.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Check the fuel line, fuel pump and carb ! Even if you have a nice and clean fuel tank, you can have issues from the rest...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Barn101 - The tank cleaning and coating system I used was Gas Tank Renu out of Michigan. I connected with them through a local radiator shop that has access to their services. The tank was thoroughly cleaned inside and out. The exterior is coated with a black thicker coat and the interior is coated with a thinner red primer colored coating. I am pleased with the look of the results. I checked the round baffle around the gas pickup tube and there are two holes approximately 1/4" in diameter 180 degrees from each other at the bottom of the round baffle where it meets the tank for gas to flow into the round baffle area. I do not see rectangular holes and the round baffle seems to be bottomed out on the bottom of the tank other than the two holes. I am curious what you found after you got into your tank further and your thoughts on my observations of my tank.

@pescara - The tank was the first step. Planning on checking all components of the fuel system. Thanks for the reminders. Helps me keep on track.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I used Gas Tank Renu for my tank, and had to do a little judicious clean out of the vent tube and at the base of the circular baffle.
IIRC there were two small semicircular openings at the base.

Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts