Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I experience some vibrations that fit the symptoms of a bad guido (doughnut) I went to check it out today. But then I realised its hard to know if its bad when you dont know how its supposed to be? Mine is unbroken/intact but when i shake the drive train it seems pretty loose and i can move it about 1 cm by hand force. What constitues a good guido?

Secondly, whilst shaking the drive train axle i noticed a little clanking emitting from the rear end (from the drive train, not me) and on closer inspection it seemes as if the axle connecting to the rear differential box got another tube inside it, when shaken the inner tube makes the clank as it hits the outer tube=rear tranmission axle. Is this normal? If not, what is the cause of it and what to do?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
13,503 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
General hairiness, knowledge of a good place to buy cannoli, and a predilection for Chianti. And I speak from personal experience as a first-rate guido.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guido_(slang)

I think you probably meant "giubo", but thanks for the chuckle :D
my born name is Guido - it was a rough run in grade-school

heh - you forgot our unexplainable power over women due to our leather-pants

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nessuna differenza

Guido, guibo; Its all Italian made in some way dont you think? :D And so what about my question, any ideas?

Il svedese

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have experience in both:

1) a bag Giubo (GIUnti BOsco) normally manifest itself as a chunck of rubber hitting the bottom of your car. Visually an unbroken bad GIUBO has some airline cracks. You may only notice a bad Guibo when a small chunk is already missing. You may not feel anything wrong even if a small chunk is missing. I bet your vibration is something else.

2) A bad Guido drives a Camaro (an older one drives a Monte Carlo) not an alfa. Wears tank tops and frequents the discos regularly, They can be heard before thay are seen because of the loud music. These are 2nd generation Italians (born here) seldom a 1st gen Italian (like me) is a guido. Guidos travel in packs usually 4, including the Guidette girl friends (these drive Firebirds). The habitat of a Guido is the 50 miles radius of NYC but in the summer they migrate to the Jersey Shore and even as far as the end of Long Island. This is because a guido can never be far away from Semolina bread, cannoli, mortadella or a slice of bread with Nutella (spread on top and bottom).

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
As I experience some vibrations that fit the symptoms of a bad guido (doughnut) I went to check it out today. But then I realised its hard to know if its bad when you dont know how its supposed to be? Mine is unbroken/intact but when i shake the drive train it seems pretty loose and i can move it about 1 cm by hand force. What constitues a good guido?

Secondly, whilst shaking the drive train axle i noticed a little clanking emitting from the rear end (from the drive train, not me) and on closer inspection it seemes as if the axle connecting to the rear differential box got another tube inside it, when shaken the inner tube makes the clank as it hits the outer tube=rear tranmission axle. Is this normal? If not, what is the cause of it and what to do?

First the guibo (remember bad guido makes bad guibos) is the flex disc between the the tranmission and the driveshaft, it should have no cracks and/or appear brittle. Next is the center support with bearing. The center support is fexible rubber with a bearing pressed in, the center support should have a little play but not be sagging, if the center support is sagging replace both, if the bearing is loose in the support or loose itself, replace both. Next check the "U" joints, for each "U" have to hold the yokes one in each hand and try to move in different directions, any movement or play indicates a bad "U" if one "u' is bad you should replace both as the driveshaft has to come out to service. When removing the the d/s, mark it so that it will be re-assembled in the same orientation. The d/s is balanced, if servicing any components of the d/s it is a good idea to have the driveshaft rebalanced. Also there is a sliding splined section of the d/s between the center support and the front u-joint, it is possible for the splines to be worn and play to occur ther also.

·
Registered
121 Posts
...had a clunking noise in my '86 a while back. I thought it was a bad universal, but my mechanic (at the time) replaced the center support bearing. That cured the clunking!

May not be your problem, but it's relatively easy to fix...

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
You dont spread Nutella on both top and bottom, eh? Whatza matta huh?

I must be an abberation, cuz I dont live in "Nu Yawk" or "Joysee". Cant wear leather pants in FL.....too hot!(no pun intended)

·
Registered
333 Posts
You dont spread Nutella on both top and bottom, eh? Whatza matta huh?

I must be an abberation, cuz I dont live in "Nu Yawk" or "Joysee". Cant wear leather pants in FL.....too hot!(no pun intended)
Enough, already wit da Guido shtick, youse putzes!!! :D

Now, about the problem at hand.........rear trans. support should also be checked - and make sure the u-joints are in "phase" when you re-install d/shaft. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
History lesson:

Ingegnere Boschi (an Italian) invented the flex joint. In Italian a mechanical joint is a "giunta". Hence Giunta Boschi. Abbreviated to Giubo.

Ingegnere Cardano invented the universal joint. In Italy the universal joint is called "Giunta Cardano" and not Giuca for some reason.

Then there was Marconi, Fermi, Galvano, Torricelli, Volta,Galileo,Caboto, Colombo,Vespucci, Verazzano, Fibonacci, Pareto, etc.,

Are there any Guidos in Sweden that can change your Giubo Swedenspider?

Regards, Ingegnere Comello

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I guess I could ask old Alfred Nobel but knowing him he would just blow it up with dynamite:)

Back to my noise. It comes when acceleration from still, when going out from a intersection from example. Its a soft clank, clank, clank or wow wow wow sound, also a squeking from behind the drivers seat that present especially when the car is warm after having driven a bit. I changed the u-joints two years ago and also the propshaft support bearing. The guibo seemed to be ok, not covered in grease and no hair though :D

I´v posted some threads about suspension and bushings as i was thinking loose suspesnion could be the cause of parts coming together from "over flexing" in the chassis. And then the case of the rear drivetrain axle that seems to have antoher tube inside it? I know my spider and that noise is new, and when driving now its all i hear:(

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Gioachino, you are constantly miss spelling GIUBO!

If the GIUBO apears good and solid, that does not mean that there are crack(s) that would only show under load. If it is original change it...

If you did the U joints (Cardano) and the drive shaft support bearing, not much else left.

Has the sliding joint of the drive shaft been regularly greased? If not it could have worn.

If the transmission support bushing is aged and sagging, this and sagged motor mounts could be holding the drive shaft out of line.

There is also a possibility that you have some bolts that have become loose.

Think you need to raise the car on a hoist and while in gear use the rear wheels (block one, turn the other) to apply torque to the drive train.

Say hi to Nobel as he is prized by the board!

Elio

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To sum it all up!

A spider owner with an bad giubo,
mistook the noise for a guido,
So he shouted out loud,
to the listening crowd,
this car has a lot of libido.

Thanx for all the great answers!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.