Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to get more actual seat time since i bought the car a few months ago, but while working on some unrelated stuff under the car I noticed this:

That's a pretty significant chunk out of that guibo. No idea how long it's been like that, but I have checked it before (though it is possible it was always situated away from me). I'm guessing this should be replaced as soon as possible!

I've read up on the threads and various replacement tutorials and i think i have a handle on it, but just had a few questions before i dive in.

• Where should i put jackstands on the car if I'm going to be jacking up the rear of the transaxle (to free the driveshaft)? I figure the deDion needs to be free to move? I assume the front of the car could be on ramps if needed, right?
  • I know I'll be replacing the front guibo, but should i do the other two if they look OK? They're more expensive, but I imagine yanking the driveshaft might be something i don't want to do again.
  • With the car in this exposed position, is there anything else I should accomplish while I'm down there? I was planning on refreshing the shifter bushing and lubing the pivot pin and such, and topping off the gear oil. I need to do syncros at some point, but starting that project as well sounds a bit daunting.
I'm sure I'll have more questions as they come up, but thanks in advance for all the input!

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
  • Where should i put jackstands on the car if I'm going to be jacking up the rear of the transaxle (to free the driveshaft)? I figure the deDion needs to be free to move? I assume the front of the car could be on ramps if needed, right?
  • I know I'll be replacing the front guibo, but should i do the other two if they look OK? They're more expensive, but I imagine yanking the driveshaft might be something i don't want to do again.
  • With the car in this exposed position, is there anything else I should accomplish while I'm down there? I was planning on refreshing the shifter bushing and lubing the pivot pin and such, and topping off the gear oil. I need to do syncros at some point, but starting that project as well sounds a bit daunting.
I'm sure I'll have more questions as they come up, but thanks in advance for all the input!
Wow, you should take Eric up on that sweet offer! I did mine by myself in my driveway. I had mine on jackstands under the jackpoints in the back and under the a-arms in the front, and used a floor jack to lift the dedion. Don't know whether you should but I replaced all 3 giubos based on informal projections of how deeply stupid I'd feel if I didn't and another one blew. Aside from the lube you mention, I did the clutch and all the rear bushings too, but you'll have to assess what's needed for yours on a case by case basis.

Bill

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Clean underneath as much as you can stand to do. Transfer the grease and grime from the car to your face and hands.
You will thank yourself in the future.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll try to document the process as well as possible and perhaps add to the collective knowledge.

Eric, that's a very tempting (and generous) offer as opposed to my gravel driveway in the cold and rain! I'll contact you off-thread.

I might even trust the guibo to get me that far! (25 miles or so)

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Might as well replace the center support bushing while you are in there. Also, before you start dismantling anything, make sure to mark the driveshaft and mounting points so it can be re-assembled in the same order.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
. . That's a pretty significant chunk out of that guibo. . . .
Yep, no argument there.

I'm guessing this should be replaced as soon as possible!
Or sooner.:p

. . just had a few questions before i dive in. . .

• Where should i put jackstands on the car . .
+1 to Bill2000 comments.
Ramps OK but will the position of the car be stationary enough with the front wheels in the ramp 'wells' during jacking/wrestling? Should be I guess.

Common misconception: You're going to pull that driveshaft many times during the course of ownership.:D So don't fight it.;) You might learn to love it like the rest of us.:p The 'smart' opine is to do everything at once, while it's out. I used to believe that. Over the course of the last four months that my de Dion has been out of the car (long story, little time) to do everything, I'm leaning toward just doing what is needed. You bemoaned a lack of seat time. We are in agreement. Better to drive than wrench. If the other two giubos look good, leave them. They don't all wear out at the same rate anyway. They should dry rot at the same rate though so if they are real old, then do them all.

Transaxle front mounts. Harder to do with the de Dion in the car, but worth a hard look. With regard to "topping off the gear oil', someone on this board recently suggested that less oil (like two quarts) than 'topping off' is actually better. Here is that thread.
Have fun!
Gerry

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wanted to report success on the replacement. If you can find a friend with a garage and a lift, I highly recommend it! Thanks again to Eric.

Took about 7 hours total, with three people and one lunch break. We got a few bonus tasks done as well, including lubing the shift mechanism, greasing the clutch pivot pin, and draining and filling the transaxle with Redline.

We ended up only replacing the front guibo. My center bearing support looked to be in pretty good condition (still had the Ricombi price sticker on it, so had likely been replaced before), so although i had a new part, we didn't replace it. My center and rear guibos appeared to be in fair/good condition (and those are easier to replace).

A few notes for those attempting:

• We followed the instructions based on the alfagtv6.org site and they were really helpful.
  • Leave the yoke/pinch bolt attached to the front guibo when you remove. It wasn't immediately apparent that this was the way to do as it is a very tight fit to get out of the driveshaft tunnel. Having someone pulling down on the rear engine mount (disconnected as part of the procedure) helps.
  • If not replacing, leave the center guibo attached to the forward section of the driveshaft.
Put on a lot of miles today!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Clean underneath as much as you can stand to do. Transfer the grease and grime from the car to your face and hands.
You will thank yourself in the future.
This is important! I degrease my cars as best I can with them up on stands in the driveway. I spray degreaser on everything I can see under the car with a gardening pressure spray setup, wait 15 mins and high pressure blast the gunk off. It doesn't get everything, but it gets 90% of it.
You'd be amazed how much gunk is just hanging there, waiting to drop into your eyes and ears.

Regards, Andrew.

·
Push hard and live
9,657 Posts
giubo not guibo. Alfa not Alpha. Romeo not Romero

1 - 11 of 11 Posts