Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. On my way to work today I'm fairly certain I had a guibo fail. The final stretch before my work parking lot is a long, wide, open straight that I always use to clear her throat (and give my regards to the Porsche shop next door...). I hit 4,500rpm in second, put the clutch in, and at that exact moment heard a distinct POP. I looked out back and spotted something bouncing behind my car. This turned out to be a 1"x1"x1" rubber chunk of what I'm 90% sure is the front guibo. The rear and center look fine.

I creeped into the parking lot in first; she was drivable and not producing any abnormal sounds. I'm debating on trying to creep home gingerly; I live 10 miles away and would like to avoid a tow bill and the hassle if I can. However, I also don't want to do any additional damage attempting to drive it.

Thoughts?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,514 Posts
I can't say I'd recommend it, but I've done it to get the car to the shop so long as the vibrations weren't too bad.

Obviously keep the revs down as much as possible.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had drove my car around like a complete ba$tard for years and didn't realise I had two sections of the front guibo missing - no vibration at all.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Whew! At least it was just a guibo.

If it were a Giubo I'd say....wait...Guido? Gwee-bo?

It's Giubo.

Spread the gospel so we can stop this misinformation campaign! :)

Fondazione Boschi Di Stefano

Giubo spelling and pronunciation

Some text ""Il Topo recently sent me a photocopy of a hand-written letter, 24 maggio
1986, by GianPaolo Garcea, a singularly literate engineer who was one of
Orazio Satta's right-hand men as Assistant Director of the Design and
Experimental Department. The letter, with lavish freehand illustrations,
confirms and elaborates on what Topo had previously told me and others, that
"the ing. Boschi had invented and patented the elastic joint (giunto) and
later formed his firm GIUBO SpA, which manufactured the first giubos for the
1900. 'GIUBO' = GIUnti Boschi = Boschi joints, and the pronunciation is
(gee-yew-bow or jew-bow)." That is the straight squeak from what is, as far
as I know, the last surviving purebred Portello mouse.""

By the way, you should be able to drive home just fine. Sounds like you'll be pulling the driveshaft to replace the front Giubo. While you're at it, you'll very likely need to do the center support and bearing. Don't forget to mark the shaft. Oh, and while the exhaust and driveshaft are out, it's a perfect time to remove the shifter handle to disassemble, assess/repair, and lube. Or drill out to press in a fitted bronze bushing for "clicky" shifting...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I remembered on my way out the door that I had plenty of miles left on my Allstate towing plan, so I opted to be safe and tow her home. She still drives without noise or vibration - at least in the parking lot - but I'll use the winter to do a lot of maintenance while the driveshaft is apart. Bearing, Giubos ;) , monkey shift kit, finally fix my e-brake cable, and probably remove and inspect the clutch. I replaced it about 2k ago but suspect I may have left some glazing on the pressure plate as it feels like it slips occasionally.

It probably won't be done till spring, but that's OK - my tires aren't usable below freezing anyway :D

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
My center one blew in my 87 Milano and it made a giant "Pop" or "Bang" then the drive shaft shook like crazy. I nursed it the 20 miles home with a definite shuddering most of the way. All freeway might I add. That sure woke me up.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Don't do as I do, but I have driven MANY thousands of miles with a gee-yew-bow missing a chunk. 2 chunks start to cause interesting but disconcerting vibrations though.
You are winding hard on it, having great fun and the GTV6 is Singing, and you hear the unmistakable bouncing thump of the giubo bit as it exits the car. I just sigh and drive on.
Like I said, don't do as I do, but easing it home is fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts