Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asking for someone else, they have a 75 2.0 1986
They started it for the first time in a while on the drive and the the throttle got stuck. It went to around 7000 rpm for a few seconds before they cut the engine. After this they noticed these had fallen off, and on restarting the engine again the throttle pedal was rattling.
Could they be guibo chunks from the propshaft?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Wow.
I blew one pulling away from a traffic stop in my '78 GTV, years back.
I felt a CLUNK, and obviously some vibration but I was close to home.
Put it on my jack and there was a similar chunk of rubber wedged between a suspension crossmember and the body of the car.

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
I think you answered your question..I don't think there is a tech bulletin on driving with a destroyed guibo and what the expected results are..

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Thanks, they only ran the engine at their house, it was stationary at the time
Lucky boy.. the revving from zero and trying to laying a rubber patch would ruin a lot of worn guibos. technically you don't need a guibo if torque is equal from the fan to the diff... but that is not how we put our cars in motion

·
Banned
14,996 Posts
I have had a few fail, usually without a lot of drama but the last one blew at high rpm and full power on a dyno and it tore apart the steel yoke on the driveshaft. It was scary for a few seconds.
The smell of burning rubber from bits of Giubo landing on the exhaust pipes is a reminder to order a new one.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
When I got my GTV6 in the early 90's it had a bad front Guibo. I changed it. Sometime in 2010's I found a chunk of that original Guibo lodged up under the car and finally removed it.

Reactions: 1978alfa
1 - 10 of 10 Posts