Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - if I drop the guibo to replace it (current one looks original and is cracked) that will drop the drive shaft as well thereby making the u-joint replacement possible by only removing the joint itself, right?

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Hi guys - if I drop the guibo to replace it (current one looks original and is cracked) that will drop the drive shaft as well thereby making the u-joint replacement possible by only removing the joint itself, right?
Well, that might be simplifying the process a bit too much. But, if one considers that you'll be removing the chassis crossmember and unbolting the shaft bearing carrier, then lowering the transmission support crossmember to get at the guibo, I suppose you could say there is little else to do to get to the front universal joint. But you'll probably want to unbolt the rear driveshaft at the front and rear flanges and remove it to a workbench for u-joint replacement. So if this is what you meant, then sure.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob - I guess I'll just have to do it properly then. Ha!

Appreciate the response.

(kinda quiet here on mechanical stuff...do y'all post on the special forums related to engine/electrical etc instead of here?)

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Thanks Bob - I guess I'll just have to do it properly then. Ha!

Appreciate the response.

(kinda quiet here on mechanical stuff...do y'all post on the special forums related to engine/electrical etc instead of here?)
Yes, unless the question is fairly sedan-specific, the other forums are the place to go. Since all 105-series cars are pretty much the same, mechanically, you'll find this and other driveline questions pretty thoroughly covered. Try using the search function.

·
Super Moderator
11,137 Posts
Thanks Bob - I guess I'll just have to do it properly then.
Yea, no way could the front U joint be replaced with the driveshaft still attached at the rear. The driveshaft needs to be on the bench, and under a press. But, your instincts are correct: while you have the driveshaft out to replace the giubo, might as well at least check the U joints, or just go ahead and replace them "while you're in there".

That's one of the problems with the Alfa BB having so many categories. It might have been better if all 105/115 models - GT, Spider, Sedan - just had one category, since their drivetrain and chassis are all the same. For example, this question about driveshafts applies equally to all three body styles. If the BB had been organized with just one category for "105/115 mechanicals", then perhaps any remaining questions specific to a GT, Spider, or Sedan could have been asked in the "Restoration" section.

But, that's not the way the BB was set up, and I don't see it changing now.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey - a SoCal local. Hi Jay.

Thanks for the input, will do it right and pull everything.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
There are a few of us Alfisti in SoCal......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts