Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
When a new user/member signs up the system will send you a confirmation email. You will not be able to use member features until you have activated your account via a link in the confirmation email. The reason for this method of signup is to validate the member’s identity. If you have signed up and your account has still not been activated please don’t hesitate to Contact Us with any details. I also went thru the system and there seems to still be a few folks who have signed up but not finished the registration process.

This is a screen shot of the notification after signing up on the site.
emailsignup.gif

EDIT: This site incorporates a 10 post minimum requirement before all of the site's features can be accessed. Some of these features include posting links and sending/receiving private messages to/from other members. This is to discourage spammers and fraudulent activity. If you would like to contact another member or be able to post a link and have less than 10 posts, please contact a moderator for assistance. We would be happy to help you.
Please do not spam the site with junk posts just to increase your post count. This will result in the spam posts and/or link(s) getting deleted and private messaging privileges suspended.

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
Based on what criteria does one's status change from "Junior Member" to "Member" to "Senior Member"?

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tubut said:
Based on what criteria does one's status change from "Junior Member" to "Member" to "Senior Member"?
I think its somthing like after 30, 50, 100 posts. Thats just the systems default settings but any member can go into their "user CP>Edit Profile>Custom User Text" and change their title if they have had a membership for 10 days and have already 10 posts.

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
How To Post Pictures

Since many new users seem to be struggling with attaching pictures to their posts, here is some information that may help you succeding with this task. The steps described below are for Microsoft Internet Explorer. Posting pictures on Apple Macintosh and other platforms may be slightly different.

1. Where to begin.
There are two ways of posting a message: (a) by creating a "New Thread" in a forum, or (b) by replying to an existing message in an existing thread. A special case exists for replying to an existing message in the sense that there is a "Post Quick Reply" button at the end of the thread. The purpose of "Post Quick Reply" is that users can reply with a simple text message (the only options for "Post Quick Reply" messages are to include quotes, and format text as Bold, Italic, or Underlined). Next to the "Post Quick Reply" button is a "Go Advanced" button, which leads you to the same dialog you see when creating a new thread.

2. The Advanced Message Window
The advanced message window has allows text to be formatted in many more ways than in the "Post Quick reply" window. For the purpose of this message, we'll skip the text features and focus on posting pictures only.
Just below the "Submit Reply" and "Preview Post" buttons of the advanced message window is a segment called "Additional Options". Depending on the size and resolution of your display, you may have use the slider bar on the right side of the screen to scroll down to this section.

3. Managing Attachments
Somewhere near the middle of the "Additional Options" segment, you should see a "Manage Attachment" button. Clicking on that button opens a new window with "Browse", "Upload" and "Close this window" buttons.

In order to attach images to a post, you first use the "Browse" button to navigate to the file you want to upload from your computer (or a computer on your network) through your folders or directories of your computer's file system. Highlight the file you want and click "Open".

Clicking "Open" brings you back to the "Manage Attachment" screen, but this time there is a text string with the full path to the file in the "File to Upload" box. Next, click on the "Upload" button. The machine locates the file and changes the "Manage Attachments" window in the sense that it now shows the name of your file under "Current Attachments" and a "Remove" button. You can attach up to 5 files.

4. A Note on File Size and File Types
If, after clicking "Upload", no files show up in "Current Attachments" the problem is either the file size or the file type or extension. The file size is limited. Valid files types and their size are as follows:
  • bmp - 97.7 KB
  • doc - 97.7 KB
  • gif - 97.7 KB
  • jpe - 200.2 KB
  • jpeg - 200.2 KB
  • jpg - 249.0 KB
  • pdf - 9.54 MB
  • png - 97.7 KB
  • psd - 97.7 KB
  • txt - 97.7 KB
  • xls - 9.54 MB
  • zip - 97.7 KB
Images are typically of JPG type. If you have JPG images that are larger than 249 KB, you need to adjust their size in an application that allows you to resize images (such as PaintShop Pro or Photoshop, for example).

TIP: If you're using a PC with a Microsoft operating system and the files are too big, try the "resize/resample" feature of IrfanView. This free program (like AlfaBB, supported by donations) is a jewel that creates very nice and small pictures without losing a lot of visual information (as increasing the image compression ratio would do). I find resizing images to 600 or 800 pixels width works best. If file size is really critical, IrfanView also allows you to reduce color depth (e.g. from 24 Bits/pixel to 8 or 4 Bits/pixel -- which reduces file size a lot and subjectively often looks better on web pages). Futhermore, IrfanView allows you to make all of these changes in batch mode, that is, you can set it so that it converts multiple pictures, renames them and stores them in a different folder. That feature is very handy after an extensive photoshoot. Last but not least, IrfanView allows you to crop images, that is, take just some part of the whole image and save it into a new file. And for the record, I have no affiliation with IrfanView. I just happen to use and like this program.

5. Posting the Message
When you finished selecting and uploading files, click on the "Close this window" button, which brings you back to the screen of your post. The last step is to click on the "Submit Reply" button which transfers your message and all attachments onto the AlfaBB server.

Edit in June, 2009: This thread has some very useful hints how uploaded pictures can be inserted into the text body (instead of pictures appearing at the bottom of the posts) -- something I wasn't aware of until I learned about it there.

Hope this helps,

Ruedi

·
Registered
9 Posts
How do I create a picture that arrears next to my username? I see all these other users w/ cool pics next to their names... I want one, too! ;-)

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
RussM said:
How do I create a picture that arrears next to my username? I see all these other users w/ cool pics next to their names... I want one, too! ;-)
In your User CP (Control Panel), select "Edit Avatar" and add the picture you like next to your name. Note the size constraints on the avatar image. You may have to reduce the image as described in item #4 of this post but the constraints on avatar images are much more stringent.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Alfa books

I am a new member. I have joined because a number of individuals have contacted me to ask about the new Alfa Tipo 33 book written by Peter Collins and myself. It will be out by Christmas, 2005, published by Veloce in the UK.

My Alfetta 158/159 Grand Prix book was published by Crowood in June 2005. Sorry for the plug, but nice to join the group.

Ed McDonough

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
FYI: There used to be other posts before and after this one that since has been moved.

Some notes for new members:

1. On any bulletin board, you can make a fool of yourself quite quickly ...and for a very long time. Be sensible what you post and where you post it. Some generic advice about posting on BBs can be found in the Posting & You video (requires Flash player).

2. If you make typos, you can always go back and edit your posts.
In addition to editing your old posts, you can even go back and delete posts in an existing thread (but you cannot delete the first post of a new thread).

3. Respect the threads others started by staying on topic and not hijacking them. This is especially true for sticky threads.
The purpose of sticky threads is that they stay on top of each forum because they contain information or discussions that have persistent value for all members. This thread, for instance, is called "Guest & New Members - Please Read!" -- it doesn't say "Please Post!" That doesn't mean that new members cannot make valuable contributions in this thread to help other new members find their way around AlfaBB. But, in my opinion, this thread is the wrong place to post personal information. There are enough forums where personal information and self-introductions can go. So, new members should be extra careful to find the right forum to post personal information (typically the Picture Room or one of the technical forums relating to a specific car model).

4. Don't hesitate to start a new thread -- unless the topic has already been covered in another thread.
The search function is a valuable tool. Use it often.
Sometimes, the topic within a thread shifts completely or progresses by covering several subtopics. When you see this happen, it's never to late to start a new thread where further discussion of the new topic(s) can take place.

5. Give credit where credit is due -- e.g. by cross-referencing rather than repeating information.
For instance, I became aware of the above mentioned Flash video thanks to this thread. Cross-referencing is so easy that you can do it, too! Just highlight a word (or several words) in the text you're about to post, then click on "Insert link" (the icon showing the globe with the chain link above the box where you write the text) and add the string beginning with http://blablablah... (this string is called URI for Uniform Resource Identifier), click OK and you're done.

6. You can send messages to other AlfaBB members (depending on their personal profile settings).
Personal messages such as "I like your avatar" or "Hi, how have you been, haven't seen you in a long time" are best handled using "Send a private message..." or "Send a message via email...". These functions can be found in a member's public profile that appears when you click on the member name in the top left corner of a post. You can also find members through the Members List. Private Messages (also known as PMs) are handled through AlfaBB. E-mail messages allow you to communicate outside AlfaBB (which is very helpful if you need to attach files to a message). Respect if somebody doesn't want to be contacted directly or doesn't want to make personal information (e.g. an e-mail address) available.

7. AlfaBB needs donations.
Read more about it here.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have been struggling with irfanview when it comes to batch mode. I read the help section, tried what it said with no success. Any tips, whats the steps I need to take?

How do we attach pics to PM's? Is this possible?

Thanks for the help.
Todd S.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the tips for new users. Now if you have time to respond. I am a new user, trying to figure out how to post my question which is...where can i get an owners manual for a 1991 alfa 164L automatic? can you help?

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
Thanks for the tips for new users. Now if you have time to respond. I am a new user, trying to figure out how to post my question which is...where can i get an owners manual for a 1991 alfa 164L automatic? can you help?
Probably your best option is to post this question in the 164 & 168 (1991-1995) forum.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm a new Alfa owner

Hi,
I'm a proud owner of an Alfa Romeo 1979 spider - I'm trying to find a users manual - any ideas Also can you tell me how to search on postings.

Thanks
Dems

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Hi,
I'm a proud owner of an Alfa Romeo 1979 spider - I'm trying to find a users manual - any ideas Also can you tell me how to search on postings.

Thanks
Dems
You might want to post this in the Spider section.
Also, you might check out your local AROC chapter (AROC-USA.org) for a local source. Also books4cars.com have these items in stock often.

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
Also can you tell me how to search on postings.
There's two ways to search AlfaBB:

1. AlfaBB's search function which you find in the red bar near the top of the Forums section.

2. Use Google and append the search term with "site:alfabb.com" (without quotation marks). This search is much faster and more extensive than the AlfaBB search, but may not always show results for posts that were posted during the last 24 hours or so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I am looking for valve specs on a 78 alfa spider 2.0L W/Spica Fuel Injection
Could someone Point me in the right direction?
Please!!!

Thank you in advance,
Michael

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Post this in the Spider section

Hello,

I am looking for valve specs on a 78 alfa spider 2.0L W/Spica Fuel Injection
Could someone Point me in the right direction?
Please!!!

Thank you in advance,
Michael
Hello Michael,

You will have more luck if you post this in the Spider section.

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
16 Posts
Registering issues

I need help! I followed the registration process (received email, responded , and received confirmation) and still I'm unable to post anything after a week? Does it really take this long? I received an Alfa Romeo Spider last year and I'm trying to restore it. I keep finding issues with it (sat for 10years) and resolve them just to find there is still something wrong. The BB has help me with the past issues but now I would like to ask some advice and I can't post a thread? Please....any help would be appreciated....I did send an email to support but no reply yet.:cool:

Thanks

1 - 20 of 74 Posts