Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm completely missing the front driver's side set and so ordered a replacement kit based on feedback from the brakes forum. Upon receiving the kit, I realized they're in no way similar to what I have. Here's my passenger side caliper (Brembo)...

The set I got is like this...

The "spring" portion of the passenger side caliper is all flopsy. The pins are in place but the spring has no tension, if it's supposed to. Can someone enlighten me as to the purpose of these bits? I do know they greatly affect braking as my car pulled HARD to the right under braking.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Those new springs look way better than the old flimsy ones that are on your car, but they are really only there to prevent squealing. they shouldn't affect braking force at all. unless the passenger side pads were worn down to the metal.

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,961 Posts
The kit is the only pin/spring set I`ve seen and are on my Alfettas as well as my GTV6. The springs are anti rattle devices not anti squeal.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The springs prevent rattle but the pins hold the pads in alignment with the rotor... right? WHich WULD impact braking force if the pads were not positioned correctly. This was the impression I got from the braking section of the board. Sorry - I've never had a car with calipers like this! Well, with ANYTHING like this!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I think the pins hold the pads in place and the spring holds the pins in place. The new picture of the pins does not show the thinner center section of the pin shown in the caliper. If there is no spring, then the pins can back out and the pads can fall out, the spring puts pressure on the center part that is still showing in the caliper picture, this fits into the slots or thinner section of the pins that keep them from backing out of the caliper. That is why we don't need the little clips that slot through the end of the pins on the rear caliper, we have the spring pressure and the slot to hold the pins in place.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was my thinking, actually. If you look at the photo of my caliper, the spring is loose. There is no pressure being exerted on any portion of it, and thus no pressure being exerted back upon the pins. Maybe someone installed the wring part, maybe the springs disintegrated, maybe there's some reason we're not aware of. But the new springs appear to do a much better job of exerting pressure on the pins, due to the perpendicular bit that braces across the caliper.
I have my wheels off, a set of punches and the new pins and springs. That should take care of my clamping force issues! Glad to know I probably ordered the right parts after all!

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
The cross type spring has nothing to do with holding in the pins; that is the job of the little spring collar on each pin. Rather, the pins are used, in addition to pad retention, to tension the spring against the pads preventing pad rattle when the brakes are released.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
In your picture, you are missing the cross section of the spring, it puts tension on the center bar you have there by pushing down on the pads which in turn puts pressure on your pins so they can't fall out. When I first got my GTV6 many years ago, I only had the pins and I had to push them in hard enough so they would not fall out, at one point one almost came out. Your rear brakes have the same sort of pins going through the caliper and the pads, but they have a little hole in the small ends of the pins that you put a clip in to keep the pin from backing out.

The picture of the new spring is very different from the original GTV6/Milano springs, the pins on the GTV6 are just as pictured on your caliper, they have a big end and a tapered end, no built in spring, that is why they have the recess in the center in which the center part of the spring fits nicely. I think the new picture is of a Spider brake spring, which may work, but not the same way as the original.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And there's my problem. Despite some insistence the ones I ordered would work, they in fact do not. Pins are too short. So now I have to return them to Centerline and try to find some elsewhere. So far no luck whatsoever. Any ideas for locating a complete front set? Stymied...

·
Registered
816 Posts
Brake pins

You're probably going to have to scrounge up a set of used stuff or at least the cross pins that you're missing. They came in all the Milanos, so that expands your search. Try APE or I might have some in all my misc stuff.
Keith
Alfas Unlimited

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All GTV6s and Milanos had the same Brembos? I was under the impression there was some variability year to year... But that'll definitely help the search! And if you have some spares, I only need two, plus the springs!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Brake pins

The earliest GTv-6's had iron ATE calipers. At some point they were switched over to alloy Brembos and all Milanos came with Brembos in my experience. We've parted out 10-15 Milanos. APE has probably taken apart 50 or more.
Keith

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Let me check my box of spare milano/gtv6 brake parts, I know I have a few calipers and I might have two of the cross sections you are missing, do both sides of your calipers look like what you have in the picture?

The Milano and the GTV6 calipers to vary a little, but I think it is mostly cosmetic, the Brembo label is on the outside of the GTV6 and on the inside of the Milano and is slightly different, but all the hardware and pads should be the same.

Go a head and clean up your pins, they can be reused, give me till tonight to check my box of brake stuff.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
If it's of any interest, the 1985 GTV6 parts book shows the spring and pins as sold by Centerline.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Sam, my front calipers are the same. If you happen to have some spare pins and springs, I would GLADLY pay you for them, plus shipping. If you don't I can see if Centerline will let me exchange the ones I mistakenly bought for the ones papajam mentioned. IAP also has just the pins, but for $7 each. Ouch. http://www.international-auto.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=2635&posid=1181113
I'll also give APE a shout. Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I think you can reuse your pins and the center part of the spring, you just need the other part that slips over the center spring section, last time I checked with Centerline (last year) they did not have any new hardware, but offered up some used pins. Just make sure you can clean your pins up and they do not have too much of a rough surface where the pads slide on them. I will check as soon as I get home and try to post a picture of what I have to make sure that is all you need. We can work out a reasonable price, I am just here to help.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Much appreciated! The passenger side pins cleaned up nicely. Actually the entire caliper looks great. The driver side pins are just gone, as is the spring. The pads are intact though and the brake lines all look alright. SOmeday they'll be stainless... While I'm in there I plan to put in a poly caster bushing. ANYWAY, lemme know about your pins and springs and we'll work something out. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Well, I got lots of pins, but no original spring like the one you show, at least not in the spare brake parts box, but I do have some other style springs that seem to work fine. But, you may want to measure the new springs you got to see if the spacing will work with the GTV6 caliper, it may be worth holding on to them and using them instead of the old ones I have.

Attachments

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,961 Posts
Chairmankaga, you do realise that those pins from IAP don`t protrude through the sides of the calipers like those other pins. The black collars on the IAP pins give an interference fit firm enough to hold them in position. They sit with basically each end flush with the caliper.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts