Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Alfa Romeo gtv6
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just finished doing the bodywork for my car after it had been sitting for awhile. Before I did the bodywork I did a full engine out service and the engine would start up and run beautifully. However after sitting for so long this time when I tried to start the car it started it ran very rough then it died out. I attempted to start it again but it would not start. Foolishly I may have flooded the engine so I just pushed it into the paint booth. A week later and I still don’t know what’s going on I pulled #5 plug to test for spark and sure enough it had spark and the spark plug had gas on it so I know it’s getting gas. The throttle body isn’t jammed and I checked everything I could think of. Am I missing something? Is it possible I fouled the plugs? Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

·
Registered
1982 Alfa Romeo gtv6
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Caleb, what's it like when you try turning it over? Could be an electrical issue.
It cranks over fine and strong but if I’m getting spark fuel and air why wouldn’t it start I mean my best guess is all 5 other plugs I didn’t check are fouled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have you put fresh fuel in? Or condensation in fuel lines, so it isn't getting the right amount of fuel needed to keep itself running. I had that in a Jeep with a similar problem.

·
Registered
1982 Alfa Romeo gtv6
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you put fresh fuel in? Or condensation in fuel lines, so it isn't getting the right amount of fuel needed to keep itself running. I had that in a Jeep with a similar problem.
Yes I put fresh fuel and it won’t even run for a little bit anymore it won’t start at all now after it stalled out

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,837 Posts
Put new plugs in just to be safe. It should run on at least a few cylinders.

Leave the plugs out for a few minutes or a couple hours to let it dry out. That usually helps me in similar situations.

·
Registered
1982 Alfa Romeo gtv6
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Leave the plugs out for a few minutes or a couple hours to let it dry out. That usually helps me in similar situations.
Okay I’ll give that a shot thank you

·
Registered
1982 Alfa Romeo gtv6
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I pulled the plugs they look fouled to me what do you think. I read somewhere else on the forums that someone else fouled their plugs when they started their gtv6 up and it stalled

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes, it is flooded. Usually when the car acts like you described, I will unplug the cold start injector and open the throttle fully and start cranking.

I think the plugs look fine. Spray the tips with brake cleaner to get the residue off. Better yet, get new plugs, I recommend platinum, NGK platinum. Those look like NGK standards.

·
Registered
1982 Alfa Romeo gtv6
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, it is flooded. Usually when the car acts like you described, I will unplug the cold start injector and open the throttle fully and start cranking.

I think the plugs look fine. Spray the tips with brake cleaner to get the residue off. Better yet, get new plugs, I recommend platinum, NGK platinum. Those look like NGK standards.
Okay I’ll give that a shot! Any fuses I should keep an eye on?

·
Registered
1982 Alfa Romeo gtv6
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you have compressed air, use it on the plugs, after the brake clean.
I cleaned the plugs but I’m starting to think that the engine wasn’t flooded I think the thermo time switch wasn’t working and the timing might be wrong

·
Premium Member
16,703 Posts
Don't overthink this yet. These engines do flood, and will not fire until the chambers are clear of the excess fuel. Used to happen at rare times with my two GTV6s. and the Milano. Do as suggested by others, and disconnect the cold start injector to try to start it.

Since you pulled the plugs, you could have run the starter a couple of times with them out to help clear the chambers with the cold start injector disconnected, and plugs out.

Do not try to start the engine with the gas pedal pushed open part way. This setup in both the GTV6 and Milano can backfire and blow the plenum off. Don't ask me how I know this, lol. These engines will start just fine with no gas pedal pushed, but can flood.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
It takes a FULL charge to work the computer..Try charging battery full and give it a shot
best of luck
Chuck

·
Registered
591 Posts
Unless the air temperature is less than about 45F where you are at, keep the CSI connector unplugged while you are going thru this effort.

·
Registered
1982 Alfa Romeo gtv6
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Unless the air temperature is less than about 45F where you are at, keep the CSI connector unplugged while you are going thru this effort.
I did and I did everything you guys said except charge the battery and it seems like it’s getting closer to starting now but it still won’t start maybe I need to let it sit longer

·
Registered
1982 Alfa Romeo gtv6
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did and I did everything you guys said except charge the battery and it seems like it’s getting closer to starting now but it still won’t start maybe I need to let it sit longer

It’s firing but it doesn’t want to keep running after I let go of the key

1 - 20 of 67 Posts