Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the Forum and found a thread about wiper blade sizes for the GTV6, but none discussing this specific issue.

I have a 1985 GTV6. The wiper arms appear to end in a simple "blade" style ending. But as it appears to me, some kind of adapter was attached to the simple blade end, apparently at the factory, to accommodate the wiper type currently on the vehicle, which is the "pin attachment" type.

From where I am standing, the whole assembly appears untidy, though I must stress that the adapter on the end of the "flat blade" portion of the wiper arm does seem to be factory. Or, perhaps, it was put on there so long ago as to have become one with the arm.

And therein lies my query: Can anyone tell me what type of "wiper arm end" is on their GTV6, especially if it is a 1985? Does anyone have any insight as to the "proper" wiper blade attachment method (slide on the flat blade end? hook? pin?). Should I be trying to remove the "pin adapter" (and then be left with a flat blade end) or trying to find wiper blades that attach untidily with a pin?

My blades are shot and so is my patience is trying to decipher this with local foreign auto parts suppliers.

Thanks for any Alfisti help out there!

James P. Reza
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6
1969 Alfa Romeo Berlina

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The original wipers on the GTV6 appear to be an obsolete design as I could not find any easy replacements at the auto parts stores. I ended up just replacing the blade and keeping the original wiper. The car never sees rain anyway to optimal wiping ability is not that terribly important.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Similar to Zinhead's experience above, I was not able to source replacement wiper blades for my '85. The problem was solved with a pair of wiper arms from a Milano with the more conventional curved ends.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I bought the bosch wipers from IAP and found they don't fit my car. i have a pin connector on mine. and the male pin is on the wiper not the arm, so i am just stuck with crap wipers for now. i may source alternate wiper arms...

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I found a set of wipers that will work with original setup. They're still the ones on the car, in fact, and are anchored as per original (except with a long thin bolt and nut rather than a pin). I'll find the packaging and post either a picture and/or the brand and part number.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The 1986 cars used a 'J' shaped arm for wiper attachment. If you cannot find a set of these, just get a pair of Milano (75) arms and call it a day. They 'bolt on' and take the modern 'J' type wipers. I am using the Bosch 'Icon' wipers and really like them. I use the Bosch brand over other types of the internally sprung wipers as they have the smallest attachment area and look the cleanest (to me). I like the original wipers fitted to the cars, but the arms wear out so bad they will not wipe properly.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I found it online. The AUTOZONE at which I purchased these did not display them, admittedly because they would "rather sell the expensive ones first." I shared that had they not alerted me to the cheaper ones, I would have purchased zero wiper blades. Economics aside, here's the link:

16" Premium Vision Windhield Wiper Blade | Sherco Auto Supply

The wipers seem to work great, for what its worth. Just as well as the $18 per wiper ones. The wipers have a plastic sleeve that clips in and fits snug with the pin.

Good luck.

·
Registered
347 Posts
could someone post a closeup showing the "correct" connection point on the GTV6 wiper arms? Seeing the Milano ones would be helpful too.
Thanks!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Seeing the Milano ones would be helpful too.
Thanks!
I don't know if this will help...it's a Milano arm with the common j-hook on the end attached to a Bosch blade. I used 16" wiper blades, they could be a bit longer, but I don't think the wiper motor is strong enough to push larger blades :rolleyes:

What is the deal with the wiper motor on the GTV6s? It "looks" just like the Bosch motor used in the Volvo 240 and 740 cars, and those things are as tough as nails. The wiper motor in all the GTV6s I've seen are really weak. I've never been in a Milano, are the wipers better than in the GTV6? Is the wiper motor the same?

Anybody have a set of mounting nut covers for a Milano they'd like to part with? :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks!

All of these replies are helpful!

So, to summarize, 1985 GTV6s were saddled with the dual obsolete technologies of metric wheels and weird wiper arms, both of which should be replaced with similar items from other model years or other models! :D

James

1 - 11 of 11 Posts