Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm highly frustrated with this. Done wheel bearing a long time ago- didn't want to start as a monthly thing.
My 85 GTV6 I bought from my mechanic- and is in great condition cannot be aligned due to wheel bearings. The mechanic said- Oh yeah, never seen another like this but this is its third set of wheel bearing in a 1000 miles. WHHAAATTTT? is going on.
:mad:He is an Alfa mechanic and has decades of experience, and hasn't seen another GTV6 do this- is it just my car? anybody have a suggestion? I will not keep a car I can't drive because of wheel bearings!

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Something else in definitly going on here......
Wheel bearings should last for thousands of miles, decades given the amount usually driven.
Did he replace the bearing races when he put in new bearings ?
Are the spindles bent ?

·
Registered
150 Posts
finding your bearings

You did not detail exactly what is happening. Are either the inner of outer bearing races spun (rotating in /on their seating surface) or is the bearing hard chrome plating coming off ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
details

Sorry, but i haven't taken it apart. Right now, just have slop in the wheel. My menchanic has replaced them twice so far- looks like I have to take time. Ever heard of this kind of thing? I was thinking even the spindle?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
First, i would suggest replacing them yourself, it doesn't require many tools (you do need a vice and a harbor freight press or similar though). It would not supprise me if you have a bad hub or spindle, i replaced the drivers side wheel bearing on my milano a number of times because it wouldnt tighten for more than about 100 miles, then i used a different spindle and hub and its fine.

·
Premium Member
16,152 Posts
Did they have proper wheel bearing grease in them when they were installed, or just preservative? Had a set of front bearings go once because the mechanic forgot to use wheel bearing grease, thinking the goop on the new bearings out of the box was actually wheel bearing grease. Lousy mechanic. Don't ask me how I know.

Don't panic, if nothing else can be found, change the spindles/uprights with used ones from a parted out car.

·
Premium Member
14,523 Posts
You don't need a press. You can get them out with a hammer and punch then grind a little off the old outer races and use them to hammer in the new ones. The bearings must be adjusted properly. I suppose that they could fail early if they are too tight or maybe yours are just too loose. Have you tried tightening them?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I think everyones assuming front bearings but could the mech be refering to the rears?
You don't say which in your post.

Front bearings are pretty simple.

·
Premium Member
16,152 Posts
Alfafamily, you didn't say, but did this come on suddenly, or has the car tended to have this problem since you bought it?

Don't panic, if nothing else can be discovered, just change the spindles/uprights/hubs (just disconnect at the upper/lower ball joints) with used ones from a parted out car. Not a big deal at all, I did this years ago on a Giulia Sprint GT to get the better Ate brakes. Likely to be just fine, since most GTV6's haven't had this problem as far as I know. Ours certainly didn't in many thousands of miles.

I wonder, without looking at the design closely (been years since I owned the GTV6's), is it possible to use a very thin washer to shim the spindle nut for a better fit, ie, the nut isn't thick enough?

Also, the Mercedes nut solution sounds interesting.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
He is an Alfa mechanic and has decades of experience, and hasn't seen another GTV6 do this-
If so, seems insane to be asking the peanut gallery what you should be asking him.

My previous Milano went through front wheel bearings every few thousand because of excessing negative camber. Incorrect wheel alignment and/or installed too tight are probably the culprit.

When it's apart, visually inspect the bearings and races. Look for galling/blueing. Make sure to buy new seals. Grease. The newer synthetic blue stuff is great, but regular axle grease will do. Axle grease must be "packed" into roller bearings making sure it oozes out opposite side. The book says to torque castle nut to xx ft lbs, back off 1/4 & then tighten just enough to get the cotter ping in the next hole (or something like that - refer to shop manual procedure), making sure you can still move the washer under castle-nut . If after install, you push hard on top of tire from side and hear loud clicking, probably too loose.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Cash shoes and Phil Bert Gallary

Sounds like the attention to detail lacks attention. How many thousand miles of failure of a component dictates a delayed and critical repair?

·
Premium Member
16,152 Posts
Our stock GTV6's and Milano have never had a wheel bearing problem when adjusted according to the book. Haven't changed any wheel bearings in 95k miles on the Milano, and never did on the GTV6's with high mileage.

I think you should just change uprights, etc, from another used car. I suspect something is machined wrong on your car. You didn't say if it came on suddenly or what, maybe the car hit a big bump a mighty whack, and bent the spindles or something?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
By the book

Well, it's a teeny-bit more involved than what I said. Excerpts from '86 Milano Shop Manual. Still, pretty much the same for all 116/119 cars.

wheel bearing preload1.jpg
wheel bearing preload2.jpg

Hope this helps. I wouldn't listen to folks that right away suggest replacing all kind of parts when they haven't even inspected anything. Be glad their not your mechanic! - gets expensive pretty quick chasing a fault that way.

hope this helps,
ToonR

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,868 Posts
I`d frankly be pretty wary of a mechanic who shows this type of approach to what obviously is a problem either in his attention to detail or his inability to recognise and diagnose a component defect. Your man appears to be a fitter of parts not a true tradesman mechanic. Beit either front or rear bearings the job is, if executed correctly, a once in a blue moon one in the life of the car, and assuming correct proceedure at installation one would be looking for a cause for such extreme short service life by rexaminatin of the method and careful checking of the componentry (both the bearings themselves and the housings and spindles) He should know something is wrong. Professional pride would make me want to seek the answer. If that would have happened when I had my workshop I would have demanded to know why and if one of my staff was responsible through poor tradecraft in what is a pretty simple job really I think I would have lost confidence in them and let them go.
Frankly I would consider carefully where you take your car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts