Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1983 GTV6 with a recent water pump, timing belt change. I now have a leak from somewhere under the timing belt cover, suspect the new water pump.. I cant remember but can I remove the cover halves without removing radiator, hoses or do i have to take it all off again. It is definitely coming from underneath somewhere, just want to see where. The valley in the block is dry so its not the upper 2 hoses. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 1983 GTV6 with a recent water pump, timing belt change. I now have a leak from somewhere under the timing belt cover, suspect the new water pump.. I cant remember but can I remove the cover halves without removing radiator, hoses or do i have to take it all off again. It is definitely coming from underneath somewhere, just want to see where. The valley in the block is dry so its not the upper 2 hoses. Any help appreciated.
Bayalfa, if you try to get the cover halves off without removing the two hoses, you'll find it so tightly spaced that diagnosing your leak might be hard to do from the tight angles and difficulty getting a light in there. Might be worth getting at the bolts
securing the pump from underneath and verifying torques are right and consistent from bolt to bolt. Good luck.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have removed the covers without removing any water hoses, so it can be done.
If one of the dozen or so water pump bolts is not sufficiently tight, you can have a leak.
If there is debris in one of these blind bolt holes, the bolt can bottom out and you can have a leak at that location (ask me how I know this).

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
If I had to guess it’s the hose clamp for the big hose that has the oval fitting.
do you have pictures?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts