Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Noob here, needing some advice on how best to modify GTV6 bumpers to make them closer to the body. Understand from searching on the forum that hole(s) needs to be drilled in the shocks. The question is: where is best place to drill the hole(s)?

Attached below is a picture of one of the shocks next to a ruler for reference. For those of you have done this, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,

Attachments

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
The best place is where it says "906" in this photo.
Have a rag grouped loosely around the drill site, DEFINITELY wear safety goggles.
After it squirts [or not], push the shock all the way in, catching the oil as you go.

They will travel out on their own sometimes if you don't do a bolt or tack weld.
Do this AFTER lining Everything up.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Expect to get only about 1 inch of difference between a collapsed shock and and extended one. This is what I have found in removing both versions from GTV6s. My compressed ones would have been from probably a mild impact. By drilling and compressing in a vise, you may get a bit more? Interested to know if that's true, in case it comes up in the future.

A 'Plan B' could be this--- some folks have compressed shocks and would prefer the fully extended units. Those folks may have an interest in trading theirs for yours?

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
Just unscrew them on a big vise and they POP!! Nothing BIG,clean them out and you can compress them to your desired length. Used them on me Spider to mount the rear bumper. Worked great
and yes Peter is correct 1" to 1 1/2"

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update for those who are visual like me...

So I followed @HeavyMetalAlfa advice today and drilled a hole on the "906" in the previous photo.

It wasn't as bad as I feared, perhaps because I'd been forewarned that it could be a little messy and I was prepared with goggles, a rag and a tupperwire container to catch the oil (hope my wife doesn't notice one missing) :smile2:

Here is the oil squirting out from the hole right after drilling...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is what the hole looks like after draining all the oil.

I found that to really be able to squeeze every last drop of oil, I had to drill all the way through to what looked like a "rod" in the center of the shock.

After that, it was fairly easy....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before and after for comparison.

Just as @planetmojo2 and @alfasrule mentioned, I gained about 1.5" in difference.

When I put the front bumper with compressed shocks on the car for a quick measurements check, it looked perfect in terms of being within approx. 1/4" of body.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some (not so pretty, but strong) tack welds on both sides of the shock as had been recommended by the forum, and some paint for rust protection....

I still need to do the rear bumper shocks.... and will follow up with more pictures of the final "look" when I'm finished.

Meanwhile, thanks everyone for your input!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
On your drill spot, I hit it there because it is below the seal on the piston and not at the bottom of the bore, which weakens it.
Fit it before welding a retainer weld.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would like to see the before and after pictures of the bumper mounted to the car. Getting a visual of how the shortened shock changes the look of the rear of the car would be helpful to anyone considering this modification.
When I redid the bumper on my GTV6 I considered this mod, but stayed original.

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
That is a big difference, I will have to think about if I would do this to my bumpers.
Thank you Glenn

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Nice work. I find this discussion interesting because the classic BMW E30 bumper shocks have some pretty toxic crap in there and it's somewhat pressurized, so that when you drill it it blasts out into your face. People have gotten very sick. Face shield, glasses, & rags are a really good idea.

So can anyone tell me - is there a specific euro-market-only bumper for the GTV6? Can you post a photo? Are they available in salvage yards over there?

I actually really like bumperless GTV6s with a front cooler fascia.

·
Registered
893 Posts
There is a GTV6 owner in KY that has just gone thru all that. I won't offer his name, as I would be volunteering his help without his permission.

My understanding in what all he went thru in basic terms--- He ordered a couple of Euro bumpers (w/ integral parking lights) from our contact in Holland. Which were supposed to come with the Euro brackets. I believe he found some brackets on line in Europe. But the US mounts and the Euro mounting points on the chassis only lined up on one end of the car. And he was forced to create his own brackets for the other end of the car with the proper offsets incorporated.

He is quite generous with his advice. So, you may hear from him on this, if he notices this post. Then he can clear up any possible errors in my account. But at least my quick overview should give you enough of the basics to either consider jumping in with both feet... or be scared off.

Peter

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would love to convert to Euro bumpers on my car, but not sure where to find them...

Meanwhile, here is the front shortened bumper on the car... still working on rear bumper (btw, does anyone know where I can order a new rear bumper rubber filler strip?)

Obviously a personal preference, but I like it much better than before; I found the bumper aprons to be unsightly and out-of-place for the design...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
The Euro GTV6 bumpers are Much better, better lines and integral blinkers.
They are hard to find even in Europe, as they were a bit brittle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts