Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

When I bought my 81 GTV6 the PO had replaced the turn signal stalk with a simple switch. Annoyingly, he also cut the wiring harness and there are now extra wires and unplugged terminal hanging from my steering column.

In any case, when I looked up replacement stalks, I found that only european versions are available new at around $166 ea.

Has anyone tried one? How are they different? Will they fit the column covers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just realized that although it was only my turn signal stalk was replaced, it's actually an assembly, and I have to replace my whole headlight, and wiper stalks too.

So I guess the price isn't all bad considering.

But I'm still curious as to what is different from the euro vs American.

·
Registered
652 Posts
indicator assembly

I just replaced a gtv6 assembly with one from an alfetta....exactly the same wiring as the alfetta post 1980 also had intermittent wipers. I doubt whether there would be any difference other than the intermittent or non intermittent wiper settings. Its a simple job the hardest part probably being removing a stubborn steering wheel. Also undo and remove the column adjusting bolt completely so to remove the upper portion of the steering shroud. Slip it back it while you do the swap to keep the column steady.
Hope that helps

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I have an Euro spec car and I had a US-Spec gtv6 assembly which had been hasseled since someone tried to install it in an alfasud sprint veloce. I had some trouble with my light controls so I opened it and installed the internals of the US-spec.

Now when I switch to high beams, the low-beams turn off something that didn´t happen with the original Euro-spec swith.:confused:

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
The rivets that hold the assembly together were taken off with a drill, I took apart the assembly and changed the contacts and handle from the headlight only (I left the wiper contact mechanism alone)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm wondering if a Spider assembly is the same. I see a few on eBay, but the wiring harness' might be different. I'm having a hard time because mine is hacked, so a lot of it's wiring has been but and played with.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Lol ennio ....why didn't you change the complete unit over?

rusty i imagine a spider would be different

as far as i know alfetta ones are all the same with the exception of early cars that didn't have intermittent wipers. That goes for gtv or sedan......as with any advice i offer i always stand to be corrected
cheers.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I'm also looking to replace or repair mine. Everything on it is fine except that it will not hold in the turning right spot, quite annoying (at least when I'm turning right). One of the previous owners had riveted on a piece of plastic with a notch cut out of it that the stalk pushed into to hold it but that broke in short order.

Where did you see the Euro ones?

Kevin

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Lol ennio ....why didn't you change the complete unit over?
I thought I mentioned that someone tried to install the unit in an alfasud sprint veloce. Seems that the owner brought the gtv6 stalks from the USA, cut come wires here and there, and the unit was broken so I got it for spares. It worked for me, but if I had a complete unit I would simply switch it over instead of repairing.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The very early Alfetta ones were wired quite differently to later ones. I can't recall exactly the difference but I can recall quite clearly trying to replace a broken on in a '76 GT I had with one from a later car and finally concluding that the differences in wiring and connections were too great to succeed.

Please don't ask me for the details - this is a memory from a long long time ago in a far away galaxy....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One thing I noticed was that there is a three wire connection. Hot (in), and a "start" and "run". But then there is a third connection, which goes to a split terminal. That connection is a "run" connection. although, now that I think of it, that would be simple to rewire wouldn't it?

But as far as the wipers, and lights go, I have no idea.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I don't know what the difference is between the North America assembly and the European version, but I purchased one from IAP and it bolted right up. All the connectors were the same as the unit I removed. It works perfectly.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The Euro and U.S. switches interchange. That said, there is a difference and I can't remember what it is. It's something to do with the high beams, like when you pull back the stalk to flash them, one flashes all four highs and the other just the inners, or something like that.

Greg

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
I've got two NOS Alfetta indicator stalks, early and late style, if anyone is in need. Not cheap, sorry.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I wouldn't know about later Spiders, but the switch of my S2 is radically different to the Alfetta.
Early GTV (Euro) switches have one connector (2x4 pin, I think) and they don't have the intermittent wiper setting. Later switches with the intermittent option have an extra connector (2x3 pin?) but you can't just simply sacrifice the option and change 'em. Well, you can, but it won't work. Pins have to be moved around quite a bit

1 - 17 of 17 Posts