Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here's the situation.
My GTV6 came with a modern headunit and modern speakers. The wiring job was an absolute nightmare-- butt crimps on butt crimps, no wire colors matched, stuff spliced into other stuff, etc. So I decided to clean it all up and put in a stock radio.

I bought an Audiovox AV-954 on eBay and it works (I bench tested it), but it only has 9 outputs from the wiring harness:
  • 12v+
  • ground
  • "clock lead"
  • right front speaker +
  • left front speaker +
  • front speaker -
  • rear front speaker +
  • rear front speaker +
  • rear speaker -
Obviously, it is designed for a front common ground and a rear common ground, which doesn't work with modern speakers. It came with Polk db525s in the front (5.25", coaxial, 45 watt RMS, 135 watts peak, 4 ohms), and Pyle Blue Label PL463BLs in the rear (4"x6" 3-way speaker, 240 watts, 4ohms).

This leads to a few questions:
1) I just ordered a cardisk to get the actual wiring diagram, but it would appear that the ground and 12v come off the harness that attaches to the power side mirror cable/switch, but where do you draw ignition from?
2) What is a "clock lead", and where should I hook it up? Is this actually the ignition lead? I've only seen setups with yellow (12v+), red (ignition), and black (ground).
3) Because the headunit uses two common grounds, I thought about using a floating ground adapter, but fga's are all setup with the 8 inputs (from a modern headunit) as the input, with the 5 wires as the output. Can this run in reverse, and how can I wire this for the TWO common grounds instead of one?
4) I cannot find an impedance rating for the headunit. I'm assuming that it can handle 4-8 ohms and won't fry anything, but how can I check?
5) Would this type of 1980s headunit be able to power those speakers, or do I need add an amp into the equation. I just want to get the thing working; I'm mainly listening to the engine, but it would be fun to play cassettes in there occasionally.

Any help on this would be really appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
378 Posts
Completely different approach here.
Buy the alfa romeo cover that covers the radio slot.
Buy a jbl portable bluetooth speaker and connect it to your phone.
That's what i was going to do, but then i found someone that actually knew how to connect mine.
I know nothing about the car electrics, but a car audio needs power and ground. Antena and speakers. that's it!
Here's some good info.
But me personally wouldn't touch any of it.

·
Registered
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, actually- I like your idea of keeping the original cover! I might try to find one of those. And the article was helpful for an electrical noob like me😸

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
378 Posts
These are way cheaper than when i bought them and you'd be amazed at the sound.
I got the JBL charge3 good but not enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts