Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - Like so many others, i've given up using basic human capabilities to remove the Steering Wheel on my parts car GTV6. Seeing the many threads out there on this topic, i'm sure that many of you have fabricated or bought something that you have used to overcome the otherworldly forces binding the wheel to the spline. Rather than try to build my own, does anyone have a proven one that I can borrow or rent, or even buy? I'd rather take advantage of your success (and your sourcing skills) than try to replicate it myself... especially since this is likely a one-time thing for me.

PM me if you have one and can help. THANKS!!!

·
Registered
475 Posts
How many days have you had a puller on the wheel applying continuous force? If you are not up to 5 days yet, give it more time. Whack the end of the puller every day once or twice, and tighten the puller a little after whacking. Time is your friend.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK... well that sounds more like a religious sacrament/procedure... but I laughed - a lot! My thread is due to the fact that I don't have a puller, and would prefer to borrow one than try to make one. Although it sounds like "making your first puller" is like "making your first lightsaber" - part of the initiation. It is the way...

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Steve, all you need is an inexpensive 3 jaw puller, not a huge one either, from any auto parts store or harbor freight. Get a can of Kroil penetrant... the best there is IMHO, and spray the splines, while tapping lightly on the shaft. And put the nut on the end of the threads so you don't damage them. Give it overnight, and tap it again, and then take the puller to it.

kanolabs.com

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Steve - you can borrow (for free) an appropriate puller from most chain auto parts stores. And then just get a couple lengths of threaded rod (whatever size you have read in the threads...I can't recall off top of my head), 4 nuts and 4 washers and it is pretty straightforward from there. I've only done 2 or 3, but they have all gone as noted in various threads I'm guessing you have read.

Here's a pic of my setup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All - wanted to close out this thread. Finally got the steering wheel off yesterday. I borrowed a loaner steering wheel puller from the local auto parts store, and of course the bolts supplied were nowhere near what were needed for the GTV6. So, I purchased four (just in case) M6 x 400mm (1.0 pitch) bolts from Amazon. The 400mm length is about 4.5" long, and was exactly the length needed to clear the long mounting tunnel and extend past the wheel puller mechanism. However, the center bolt from the wheel puller was too short to go all the way down to the center wheel shaft. So, I extended the length of the center shaft by inserting the little round "doughnut" that came with the puller, and then putting a 18mm deep socket around that, so that the socket went all the way up the shaft. Then, I used a 1 inch socket extender on the end of the socket and that was perfect to reach all the way down to the center shaft. Here's an exploded-parts picture of my set-up. Note that I have 6 washers on each bolt. There is tremendous pressure exerted on those M6 bolts, and you need to spread that pressure across the entire mechanism.

My words of advice:
1. starting a few days in advance, start spraying Kroil on the center shaft and through the two bolt holes. It became obvious (see #4 below) that Alfa used some extra-terrestrial, thermo-nuclear device to shove the wheel onto the shaft. You need all the help you can get to pop this thing off...
2. screw in the M6 bolts all the way in, until they stop, and then back the bolts off 1/2 turn. They are stopping against the electrical plate, and you don't to damage that.
3. ensure that everything is centered, and keep it all centered as you tighten the center bolt
4. when you start tightening up the center bolt, go slowly. About every 1/2-3/4 of a rotation, I banged on the center bolt with a hammer, praying to the gods that it will start to loosen things up.
5. I kept up the tighten/banging approach for what seemed like 2 to 2 1/2 full rotations, and then the wheel just popped off!

The whole process took about 30-45 minutes.

As a special bonus for reading this, I have four of the M6 x 400 (1.0) bolts and I'll be happy to send two to anyone that is trying to do this (USA only, sorry!). These should work with any puller, and perhaps we can just start a train with them. If you want your own, HERE is the link to them on Amazon - they are about $10.50 for four (remember that this is written in February 2020 - your shopping results may vary). Make sure you use good-quality (304 hardened steel) bolts - you don't want them ripping out and ruining the threads in the wheel!

Good luck - hope this helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts