Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was feeling some play in the steeing today and noticed the U-joint nearest the rack has a bit of play in it. Where can I get a new one u-jointj? What is the recommended fix if no part is available??

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
Is it the U-joint or the rubber filled coupling?

If the latter, the best fix is to the weld the coupler halves together - eliminating the possibility the coupler can come apart when the rubber separates.

See: Steering Column Question

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the u-joint, I have the engine out right now and can get a good look at it. The rubber filled joint is still doing it's job, and to be fair its about a millimeter or 2 either way, but it certainly won't get better! I am calling a few of the folks around the country to see if a good used one is available, but I figured by now someone had found a good alternative to the original.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I always weld them for safety when they get soft. A benefit of welding them is it makes the horn work better. You will see a little jumper wire there, which is the horn ground.
And, really easy to weld when engine is out.

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
And, really easy to weld when engine is out.
I did mine during an engine swap and I still set fire to the insulation.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
So if it's not the flex coupling, but the joint. I have a good used one from an Alfetta. They should be the same. Let me know if there is an interest.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am interested, can you get to me on a private message and tell me the details?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also removed the insulation, I order new heat shield/ sound barrier from summit racing. This way my mouse eaten wall doesn't look so bad. The problem is I should stop these half measures and just take the whole front and apart! I keep thinking this all started by me changing out the middle section of my exhaust system which was the only part I didn't change in the system so far.
One thing I got luck with is the upper radiator support was rusted bad, and I found a guy who had a new radiator support (The whole **** thing). The rest of mine is good and I will just change the top cross member.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
That shows the jumper wire that grounds the horn. it screws into the shaft and coupler, which is where you weld to repair it if none new are available.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well now that I have the new one, I will have to find a suitable u-joint and change it like I would on a regular drive shaft. I will document it once I find a u-joint and share it here!

·
Registered
848 Posts
If a used part is hard to come by Borgeson makes a whole bunch of various small-ish U joints. You can google their product line and by measuring your existing ones for inner bore diameter, collar OD size, etc see if any of theirs are a suitable fit. I used them for a shifter linkage rebuild last winter and it's been great. They even produce matching rubber boots to keep grease in and dirt out. However, their product literature is peppered with the caveat "not for steering components". Right!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I cleaned up the steering coupler I got from "Italcarnut" (Thanks again) and I am really looking forward to getting all the parts back in to the bay! Almost every thing has been cleaned up and detailed so it will look good for a long while, and now that all the seals are done on the bottom of the engine it should be dry.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts