Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GTV6 starter removal

Howdy folks - nice fourm you have here. I was hoping that someone could help out with a problem. Sorry if I don't have full details, the GTV6 is my father-in-law's, as I am a Jeep guy myself - so you now know that 1) I married "up," and 2) I'm a real fool for spending my time, money, sweat and blood working on a vehicle that is not sexy, exotic, or fast, like an Alfa.

Anyway, my f-i-l has an '83 (I think) GTV6, and he knows is way around cars very well. He recently obtained an FSM for it, but still can not quite figure out how to pull the starter, which is in need of repair. He tells me it is buried in there pretty good, but you all should know that.

Any advice or help you could throw out there would be appriciated greatly.

Thanks - Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone???

I'll take wild guesses here. Or is it so simple that you all think I'm beyond help as a big dummy. Please remember, I've not looked at it, only been told that he can't do it.

. . . just trying to score points with the in-laws . . .

Seriously, any advice is welcome.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Removing the starter can be a pain. I did it in a parking lot with no lift at the dorms I was living at about a year ago. It isnt rocket science but it takes some effort.

1st: Disconnect the battery.

2nd: You have to remove all of the intake hose work from the filter to the rubber accordian intake tube.

3rd: you have to remove the header. Using a lift makes it easy. The bolts to the bottom downpipe can be very rusted and you have to be careful not to bust them. I did this lying on my back feeling around with a long extension and a great deal of patience. The header bolts to the head are not hard to remove just be careful that you don't bust them. The heat shield for the start is under and attached to the header. The back to long bolts are run through the heat shield.

4th: Now that the easy part is done! Not only will the starter be covered with grime, it will be hard to reach the bolts. ( Most if not all Alfas leak oil.) If I remember correctly the two bolts holding it in are on the top and bottom of the starter. They are a pain to take off, but be creative with your extensions and sockets and you'll overcome it. You will also have to disconnect the starter at this point. If I remember correctly there is also a bracket on the front side of the starter that can be a hassle to remove. It must come off. It holds the front of the starter still. Pull it out.

5th: replace with new starter and reverse steps 1 through 4.

I am pretty sure I haven't forgot anything but it has been a while. If you hit a snag post it and I'll see if I can help.

Good Luck!

:) :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts