Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The speedo and odometer on my 86 GTV6 have both stopped working. I will test the leads from the connection nearest the sensor and the connector at the speedometer to check for any bad connections, but it's my suspicion that the sensor has gone bad (as they all do).

It seems it's near impossible to find these sensors, and the closest I've come to finding something is one from a Milano. Has anyone got a solution here?

·
Premium Member
14,234 Posts
Your best bet is probably a Milano sensor with the corresponding Jaeger "amplifier" box. You may also need a Dakota digital box to match the pulse train from the Jaeger box to your speedometer. I have posted about doing this on my 85 GTV6 which is a little different and I think others have posted specifically about the 86 conversion.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Looks like that kit runs about $232 US. But I don't see how it fits into the transaxle socket and seals. I'll try to contact them and ask.

On the other hand, it's tempting to go with the Milano sender and amp, after all they're available.

Thanks fellows-- we really appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
14,234 Posts
I can test Milano senders and amplifiers and possibly repair failed amplifiers - I am one for one so far. So if you buy something that is questionable I can check it for you at no charge, just return shipping.

·
Premium Member
14,234 Posts
I got one here two years ago for $80
Here's it is

Misc
That appears to be for an 81-85 GTV6 or is your car an '86?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Don't know about the '86 but if the sensor is like the one in the Highwood Alfa picture then the problem is likely to be the solder joints where the plug attaches to the internal circuit board. The joints are a bit fiddly to resolder - the biggest issue is opening the unit up. I've repaired a few of these senders by simply cutting the metal retaining ring, resoldering the internal joints and then resealing the unit.

·
Premium Member
14,234 Posts
The '86 has an 18 pin IC, a transistor and a few resisitors, capacitors and diodes. It is a lot different from the earlier ones.

·
Premium Member
14,234 Posts
Didn't realize the 86 was different. Mines a 82 Balocco
It's also a different size. You cannot even plug the hole with the wrong one.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Thanks for the input there, Ed. Yes, Mike's car is an '86. Looks like we'll have a used sensor and Milano amp coming soon, so maybe you could check them out for us?

Grazie...

(Meanwhile, in a typical Alfa Romeo moment, Mike's speedo decided to work again. Ya gotta love them...)

·
Premium Member
14,234 Posts
Thanks for the input there, Ed. Yes, Mike's car is an '86. Looks like we'll have a used sensor and Milano amp coming soon, so maybe you could check them out for us?
Certainly!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts