Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

Having issues re-installing the rear fixed 1/4 glass and rear opening glass after replacing seals and guide etc.

The centre felt guide panel post pillar fell apart which made removal of all very easy-can someone please list the sequence with which it all gets reinstalled.

We have the fixed glass in place-the pillar currently floating and the glass floating but theres not the room to get them correctly in place-we figure something gives somewhere to enable the glass and pillar to sit as they should... felt and channel removal on the door pillar side?

many thks in advance

Haden

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Haden-- Can you please maybe post a photo or two to illustrate the situation?

My son and I replaced the belt weatherstrips along the doors, so maybe we can help you. We did not however have to remove any glass. The outer belt weatherstrip is retained by a screw and clip up underneath the fixed glass, and can be a bit of a challenge to reinstall.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will do - its a weekend project so will get some in 2 days.

To date we have stripped one side of glass in view of replacing the weather strip/seals + felt + the centre post pillar guide between the rear 1/4 fixed and opening glass.

The drivers door is all back together-easy part!

As above we didn't take to much notice when we pulled the centre side opening glass out as the centre post pillar fell apart which made removal of all very easy...getting it back into place now the issue.

thks Haden

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
ok-- I begin to get the picture now... reinstalling the post itself is the question, right?

We didn't remove that, however. It does anchor at top and bottom down into the body, correct? Hope I remember correctly.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The "post" is fixed at the top by 2 rivets into a forward facing tang, or you can use self tapping screws. About 2/3 down the post there's an insert which presents as a rectangular opening, when the correct position is found a long screw inserts thro the inner panel and via the referred opening threads into a nylon insert which is part of the outer panel. The post is oriented with rectangular opening to the rere. As best I remember assembly goes : first you fit the fixed glass and it does need to be pushed back; then put the moving glass down into the body; then fit the post complete with rubbers etc and fix at the top; raise the moving glass then insert the long screw. The correct position has to be determined by trial and error.
I have a spare post which allowed me not to have to rely on memory alone and looking at it it's apparent that rust is a real problem for these parts in this climate; the "posts" fitted to my car all came from US donors , maybe your climate is reasonably dry but I'd recomment treatment of the parts.

·
Registered
224 Posts
As I recall:-

Put the sliding glass down deep in the cavity - below where it normally sits.
Put the fixed glass into position.
Insert the pillar at an angle into the small gap between the two pieces of glass.
Swing the pillar into position while moving the sliding glass up.
Rivet the top of the pillar.

Like most things on the GTV6, if you do it right it takes no force, a bit off and there is no clearance and things will break if you force them.

Also be careful with the sliding glass - it is easy to wedge it in the cavity and very hard to remove once it gets wedged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts