Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1984 GTV6. Does anyone know what wire is supposed to connect to the sensor circled in red? It has a single tab connector on it. Temperature gauge works fine.

I can find wiring diagram for 1981-1983, but I cannot find any wiring diagram for 1984-1986.

Thanks!
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior

·
But Mad North-Northwest
13,505 Posts
Pretty sure that's the cold start vacuum retard. It's supposed to be disconnected as they found out that beyond making the engine run crappy it actually made emissions worse.

Reactions: alfaloco

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure that's the cold start vacuum retard. It's supposed to be disconnected as they found out that beyond making the engine run crappy it actually made emissions worse.
Thanks Tom, just getting back into GTV6 land. I don't remember my 1981 having this. Some idle surging as well, so trying to make sure I have everything hooked up properly after its 20 year slumber before replacing parts. Hope to see you around!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Thermal time switch - Alfa technical bulletin advised disconnection back in the day.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
13,505 Posts
No, that's not the TTS. The TTS has a Bosch connector and is used to fire the cold start injector. It should stay hooked up.

This is the sender to retard the timing when the engine is cold and should be disconnected.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Hmm.. OK I must have been calling that the wrong name for years. Yes it should be disconnected.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
You might be able to see the wire lead for that retard sensor, tied up securely in back of the timing belt. Hopefully, it is.

Reactions: andylarry

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an additional note on this: this is actually discussed thoroughly in Greg's Bosch L-Jet run through which is hosted on his HPSI page. Bosch L-Jetronic Tech Article (GTV6 and Milano). It's listed under: "Step 3 Comply with Alfa tech bulletins 87,01 and 89,02! "
Thank you! I just put the GG silicone hose kit on intake manifold as well as all vacuum lines. I will go to his page for sure!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts