Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I've battling a harsh ride (front and rear) that has remained the same. No clunking sounds..just jarring as if there is both no compliance and no rebound. I've swapped shocks (Konis on full soft, original Spica), rear springs, raised/lowered car, new tires, tire pressure adjustment, alignments. The jarring is the same. I've received one opinion from a respected suspension shop it's possible the person who swapped out my bushings years ago most likely tightened then in the full drop position. Anyone have any similar experiences?

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Also see if you can tell if they put poly bushings in, I've found they give a noticeably harsher ride than rubber. Of my 3 Alfa's my GTV6 is the plushest ride by far (stock shocks, springs, rubber bushes).

Kevin

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies!
Greg, I forgot to mention I had the bars checked a while back. Someone said they were original...but I'm not sure if they actually measured them. Is the diameter measured at the splines or in the center?

Kredden,
My first couple of GTV6s decades ago were complete stock....and comfortable! Of course there was the body lean, but expansion joints and potholes did not cause the car to skitter. I purchased original shocks from an Alfa parts retailer years ago and have them on the front (again). But an Alfa shop says those shocks are much stiffer then the shocks installed at the factory. Go figure!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A quick lunchtime check of my torsion bars: about 23.3 at the center. Actually, they varied between 23.2 and 23.5 depending where I measured on the bar, but I suspect 1% is a good variance!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I've received one opinion from a respected suspension shop it's possible the person who swapped out my bushings years ago most likely tightened then in the full drop position. Anyone have any similar experiences?
I don't see how this could have any effect on ride quality.
The top control arm has a small rubber bush that 'may' (and I doubt it a lot) have an increase in distortion resistance, if the bush is expected to distort a long way because maybe it was, as you said, tightened at full droop.
But it's a small bush and is the only 1 (per side) that works like that. I would have thought that if the bush was being distorted far enough that it actually contributes to the suspension bump resistance, then it would simply tear.
The caster arm bushes are compressed with suspension travel and the LCA are on plain metal bearings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts