Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I noticed something curious yesterday morning while driving my GTV6 to work (it’s my daily driver). I like to rev the engine, naturally, as it sounds great and is fun to drive at the higher RPMs. I noticed that sometime I am able to rev the engine to 6500 in any gear without hitting the rev limiter. Other times, instead, usually in the morning, the engine hits the limit at just before 6000, slightly over shooting it to about 6100 if I continue to accelerate without changing gear.

My car is a completely stock 1981 GTV6 2.5L. I have done no modifications to it whatsoever.

I know that above 5800 a stock Busso 2.5L V6 does not have any additional power, but I find it strange and bothersome that the rev limit can have these random inconsistencies.

I shot this small video last evening when I got home which shows that it had no problem hitting the limit at 6500, this morning, instead, on the freeway I was hitting the limit at ~5900.

Can anyone help me understand if this is normal or what could be happening, please? Thank you all in advance.

Cheers,
Igor

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
I think that it is more likely that your tachometer is inconsistent.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
As per what alfaparticle has said, the old electromagnetic drive gets a bit of a momentum swing and over shoots the real number.
If your car had lightened flywheels, it would rev up faster, the tacho needle would get an even bigger momentum swing going and over shoot a bit more.
You don't see this sort of thing in more modern tachometers because they (typically) use stepper motors in newer cars. So there is much more precise control of the needle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts