Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang-
I lost a chunk out of the rear guibo on my 1983 GTV6 today after taking the car to red line during some spirited driving. I feel sick...

Can I replace this guibo myself without having to drop the entire diveline? I heard there was a ball bearing and socket that keeps things aligned. Will this fall out if I mess with the guibo?

Can anyone provide directions for replacing the rear guibo? I tried a search but only found information on replacing all the guibos. I am not especially computer literate. Please help!

Sincerely

Steve Allison

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
1) Get yourself a repair manual. Best to evaluate ALL guibos and have new ones as needed. You have to be careful NOT to bend the guibos or drive shaft too much or you will damage them. Check the center bearing for play. you don't have to take the whole shaft out for the rear guibo.

Car secured on jack stands or on lift(with rear DD tube as jack point so that correct shaft alignment is maintained):

2) remove center exhaust section and heat shield. The center support is part of the body for 83? and does not remove so a little more effort is need to get whole shaft out.
3) loosen pinch bolt
4) loosen and remove three bolts and nuts off rear guibo (the ones going to the input shaft of trans), loosen but do not remove three bolts on driveshaft to rear guibo. note bolt and nut orientation! Note drive shaft orientation.
5) remove two nuts holding center bearing hoop
6) gently pry forward the driveshaft guibo from the trans input fork at the fork. It needs to go forward about 3/4 inch to get centering bearing off.
7) once shaft far enough forward, you can remove the rear driveshaft to guibo bolts and nuts. replace with new guibo. Don't take off metal band unitil all six bolts are back in place and guibo seated correctly. Put a bit of grease into the alignment bore at rear guibo.
8) snug up all bolts/nuts and run the shaft at medium rpms to get it to settle in a bit.
9) tighten all bolts to appropriate torque. Make sure that the locknuts on driveshaft are in good shape.

First time should be about 2-3 hours for just the rear guibo. after that, you could do all three in 2 hours...

Or, take it to an Alfa repair shop.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much, xray. What a great set of instructions! Believe me, I would rather take it to the shop, but Lino and Carlo from Alfa of Tacoma are off to Italy for a month and the other shop in Seattle is booked up through September. In western Washington, we often have some beautiful "Indian summer" type weather in September and I don't know if I can stand not driving my beautiful Alfa for a whole month. Time to soul search...

Sincerely

Steve

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Similar to X-ray, but I prefer to drop the nose of the transaxle instead of loosening the pinch bolt and center support. Essentially:

remove exhaust - worst part of the job
disconnect the shift linkage at the trans
remove giubo bolts
remove bolts holding front transaxle cross member to the body
Jack up on the de-dion until you can get the giubo out/in

A good Saturday afternoon job

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, Mark! Once I get under the car I will see which method looks most do-able for me. I now have two possible approaches, which I figure doubles my chances for success!

Regards

Steve

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
A couple of questions for Mark and x-ray:

x-ray: Do I need to loosen the center support as Mark alludes to, or will the shaft move forward far enough with the center support untouched and the pinch bolt loosened?

Mark: Can I just raise the back end of the car or should I have the car on axle stands front and rear so it is level all around? x-ray mentions removing the two nuts holding the center bearing hoop. Do I remove these before tipping the front of the transaxle down and taking off the guibo? Does the bearing hoop stay with the Guibo or remain on the transmissition?

With either of the above methods, I assume I should level the car and run the driveshaft at moderate revs with the pinch bolt still loosened to let things settle in. Should the guibo and center bearing hoop be fully tightened before I do this or just reasonably tight so things can stll move around?

Thank you both very much. I now feel confident I can do this repair and get my beloved Alfa back in top shape!

Steve

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Hi Steve,

If you drop the nose of the tranny you don't need to loosen the pinch bolt or the center support. But you do need to disconnect the shift linkage at the transmission. If you follow X-ray's path, you will need to remove the nuts on the center support to allow the shaft to drop down and slide forward.

Either way, getting the car up in the air helps a lot with getting the exhaust off. That is usually the worst part of this job. I like to place jack stands under the rear jacking points (as long as they are sound). This frees up the de-dion triangle for jacking once the front trans cross member is free of the body.

Take it slow and make sure you look at how the parts go together and you should be fine.

If you do loosen the pinch bolt, starting the car an letting it idle for a bit before re-tightening is a good idea.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Buon giorno tutti,

I'm about to embark on replacing the rear-most guibo and I found this informative thread to guide me. I've got a 1982 GTV6, and the step to loosen the center bearing hoop seems to be part of allowing the driveshaft to move forward enough to get clearance for the guibo replacement.

There seem to be two approaches to get clearance at the guibo described in the thread above
1.) Move the driveshaft forward.
2.) Drop the nose of the tranny.

Questions:
- Do both these methods require loosening the center bearing hoop?
- What and where is the pinch bolt? Is it at the driveshaft, grips some splines, and if loosened allows the driveshaft to slide?
- Do you 'bump' the engine with the starter to rotate the driveshaft for access to the guibo bolts? Or do you remove spark plugs and rotate by hand?

I have taken out the center exhaust section. I'm going to drop the center bearing hoop and loosen the guibo bolts next, then see what things I can move to get clearance...

Gracie,
- Art

·
Registered
848 Posts
Turns out the center guibo shows visible cracking, so I ordered in one of those too.. and the fun continues, but it'll be reliable!

I'll do a search here for guidelines, but any tips or advice on that replacement is welcome.

Ciao, - Art

1 - 14 of 14 Posts