Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the original uncompressed length of standard/stock GTV6 rear coil springs, and is it the same as the Milano?

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Does anyone know the original uncompressed length of standard/stock GTV6 rear coil springs, and is it the same as the Milano?
fwiw - stood up more or less vertically, I show 15.5" to the top end of the spring

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
The Milano came with (IIRC) at least three spring lengths. My '87 had ones that were 18" free length, which I *think* were the longest.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Bill and Tom. I purchased some used springs to replace the springs currently in the car (bouncy, and a nearly 1" lean to the left). The used springs are even length (uncompressed), and measure 14". I haven't swapped them in my car yet, but did recently replace all four shocks with original-type oil shocks that solved my comfort issues! No more choppiness and harshness. I just purchased remanufactured springs from the same UK supplier, and notice these springs measure nearly 18.5" in length! They appear to be the same GTV6 coil springs also sold by a US Italian car EBay vendor. I don't know the length of springs now on the car...but these 18" springs just don't look right. I cant see them settling 3-4 inches...or perhaps they can. Or perhaps the used springs just settled that much or were cut. Pending a reply from the vendor

FYI..in photo the shorter used spring was sprayed to eliminate surface rust

Attachments

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
The left side of your old spring looks like it may have been cut shorter?

Again, this is on the Milano, but the stock 18" springs the car came with really had the rear in the air way too high. I chopped off a coil on my car which dropped things about an inch.

Spring rate on them was something like 75 lbs-inch when I calculated it, so they do compress a lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts