Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this is a newbie question.

Have had my 81 GTV6 for a few weeks now. I know it shares a ton of parts with the Milano/75. I have an 87 Silver Edition Milano

The two cars could not be more different in my opinion in regards to steering.

Thru a parking lot, in the Milano you could steer with 2 fingers. With the GTV6 steering from a dead stop, requires the strength of the Hulk

My question is. Does the GTV6 have power assisted steering and mine is obviously not working? It is like driving a truck from the 50s at low speed.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Brad

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dont get me wrong. At speed, it is terrific. But at 0-1 mph...going to look like popeye. Just want to make sure something was not missing/broken.

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Thats why Alfa owners can do 10 Pull-ups. None of my 6 have Power Steering. My Montreal has a V8 sitting over the front tires, never mind a V6. The 4's steer very easily for a car that has no power steering. Think of it as a workout.
It's the "Last Sports Car" as far as I'm concerned, no help from nothing ie: Traction control , Power assisted steering, ABS, etc ... you name it. You the GTV-6 and the road
a pure Sports car and the Last One ever made!

·
Registered
250 Posts
After driving a GTV6 for so long now i really dont like power steering. I remember driving a toyota mr2 which had no power steering and that was like driving a tank i couldnt believe it. The steering on the gtv6 is much lighter than you think. If you want more steering response, do what i did and rip the air-con out to lighten the front end. More again, get some weights and strengthen those arms! :)

What alfasrule said is correct. So many cars are dumbed down by driver aids, etc. Lighten her up. By scrapping things like air-con, replace all factory sound deadening with new light weight sound matting, ditch the factory seats, they weigh a ton. But if you want all that and are still not happy with it, i'd sell it for something with power steering.

·
Registered
502 Posts
might be the tire pressure/misalignment/worn ball joints

·
Premium Member
15,012 Posts
Several people have fitted Milano power steering to their GTV6's but I would not do it mine. My wife won't drive it anyway.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A Montreal is next on my list

Brad

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alfasrule

I feel the same way about my 328. Last Ferrari designed while Enzo was still alive. Fiat while owning them, left them alone. No abs, traction/launch control, power steering ect.

While a 458 Italia would be awesome, I like mine in its own right.

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Brad, Sorry! Well also the comment made by Q.V. could assist you Bushings as well as both Ball Joints Upper and Lower could be an issue. Check the front tires and see if the insides are wearing more than he outsides, clear indication of front end issues. Tires as well could make a huge difference!!! Many GTV-6's today have larger tires that are not factor recomended, for example a wider, worn and even BRAND of tire would make the car very hard to steer.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I converted my GTV6 to power steering with a rack from the 75, i love power steering and it is the best move i have made, if you like a parking workout stick with the original rack, if you like nice and easy go for power steering, straight swap over, just have to add power steering pump and lines from a 75 and convert or swap the steering neck to fit, also get a cooler line from a 75 or 164 for fluid cooling or as i have done i put the top up reserviour on the right hand side and run the power steering hose from pump to reserviour in front of the radiator for full flow cooling when driving :)

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Love your GTV6, really nice, actually you have same wheels as me, but yours look much cleaner. Nice to see a different bonnet. :)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Apart from the power assist, the 75/Milano rack has a faster ratio. So more direct, less turns lock to lock.

Have had both and much prefer the 75 setup but do check the alignment. Maybe it's running a lot of caster.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have installed the PS from the Milano and i am very glad i have done it. I have posted a thread for this conversion have a look, no need for cooling lines, make sure you SWAP and do not convert the end of the steering column. No soldering or such technics, steering is very important. I have Zender Milano 17'' wheels which i have installed 6 months after doing the conversion to give the chance to the seals of the refurbished steering rack to settle in well. it turns sweat and easy highly recommended. You can do weight lifting at the gym! :)

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Get a 380mm sparco wheel and hub adaptor (the black suede one) and don;t try turning the wheel when not moving.

Get an alignment.

A few 1986 editions came with power steering....

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a 1986 GTV6 that was an "executive car" at the dealership (200 miles on it) that came equipped with "power assisted" steering. My other GTV6 does not have this feature.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm about to transfer my Milano/75 3ltr (actually, a 164S motor) drivetrain, along with power steering, to my Alfetta GT. I anticipate that an added benefit of the steering column transplant will be the added convenience of being able to adjust for reach. I wonder though whether the Alfetta (GTV6) type plastic column shroud will fit the Milano/75 column. I'd sincerely appreciate the feedback of some of those who have done the conversion.

Also, just to clarify, are the rack mounting holes in exactly the same position? For years I have had it in my mind that the spacing between the holes was slightly different. Is this the case for the Alfetta vs. GTV6/Milano? Feedback from those in the know is much appreciated!

Pertinent to the conversation of GTV6 steering weight that has been overlooked in this thread is the GTV6s fitted steering-damper. Though it may assist in high speed stability, I feel it to be nothing but a bug-bear for low speed maneuverability. Owners very rarely service the damper, which tends to bind over time and make the situation significantly worse. Before checking alignment, etc., etc., see that the damper rod is lubricated. I demobilized one of mine and it was cheese to chalk, noticing zero added instability at any speed and much improved sensitivity! The Milano has one of the best power steering systems I've even encountered and feels to me more communicative than the artificially dampened GTV6 (the Alfetta however, with its absence of damping and light 4 cylinder, is pure MAGIC!!!!).

·
Registered
45 Posts
musings on power steering for the GTV6

Alfa Jam

I have also been thinking about adding power steering to a GTV6 we have at home. I have all the necessary 75/Milano gear somewhere but feel uneasy, as many do, about cutting and welding steering components (and besides, there many other things to do to that car before worrying about power steering)

I wonder - what are the real issues with using a whole 75/Milano setup - bar the different light/wiper stalks and shroud? Is there an actual shaft length problem?

If the whole 75/Milano setup fits... wouldn't it be possible to transfer the GTV6 steering column "ears" (the ones that hold the stalks assembly)... to the 75/Milano steering shaft column????

I seem to remember that column is aluminium, so correct welding would be tricky but feasible? If the weld ever failed (!) the steering part of the component would be totally unaffected.

Another possibility - welding the last bit of a GTV6 steering column to the lower part of a 75/Milano steering column, so that you can use the right "ears", and fit the lot to the GTV6?

Just a thought.

Unfortunately I won't be able to have the steering columns of a 75/Milano and a GTV6 side by side to test my idea, but someone out there might?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts