Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I've recently acquired an Alpha GTV6 which needs a little work,,
I'm in need of some door locks, a small left-side indicator and maybe a seat-belt (from the right side).

If anyone knows the Ashburton-based GTV owner who recently purchased the dead black GTV from Blenheim, please forward his contact details. I gather he was mostly after the glass, and might be willing to part with the few random bits I'm after.

Also, what's the story with the rubber window lining? Where should I look to have these replaced? (They've contracted quite a bit from sitting in the sun, so they're probably not doing the car's Russian steel any good when it rains..)

Cheers,
James

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi James,

I think there is a guy on here from Ashburton called Stravs with a GTV6. Do a search and send him a message.

You can get most rubber window seals and felt from Highwood Alfa in the UK I think. Check out their website. I got a roll of the stuff to do a whole car a few years ago. It wasn't cheap but better than letting the water in there to do its thing.

Good luck.

PS
It's an Alfa, not an Alpha. Some jokers on here get a bit towey about that sort of stuff :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi James,

Which part of NZ are you in?
Unfortunately I was not the one to purchase the GTV, but i would now like to know.
It could have been Mike Hill. Will try to contact him as i would be keen to have a pick over it myself!

Karl

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brilliant. Sorry for the misspelling there Rik, (what a spaz) not sure what I was thinking! :D Appreciate the advice there regarding window seals, I'll checkout the UK site.

Hi Stravs, I'm in Blenheim myself. Yea please let me know how you get on with Mike. I do of course have door locks on my car, but the one remaining door key is broken, and it's one of those crazy golf-ball textured things that's hard to replicate. (I figure if I can just swap the door locks with a dead GTV that'd be the easiest way to go.)

Cheers,
James

·
Registered
109 Posts
That key may be repairable.
I got some spares cut locally very easily.
If it is snapped, you may be able to glue it together for long enough to make a copy.
On a side note, I actually disabled my door locks and fitted central locking. Much easier.
However this wouldn't work for the boot lock.

If you are looking at getting in some weather striping I might get some too to save on shipping costs.

Thanks
Karl

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Oh yea? Sounds good. I'll checkout the prices tonight. I could probably do with a new seal for the sun-roof too,, but that's not really a priority at this stage..

Yea no most of the door key is missing (snapped off, don't know where the rest of it is), and the local key-cutter guy didn't seem to think it'd be possible to replicate, even if we pulled the door lock to bits.

What's the story with your central locking? That's sounds like a swell plan,, so you can still keep the door handles, you just install an internal mechanism for remote locking? Sounds pretty cunning.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Central locking worked out sweet, I just took off the bar from the door lock/handle to the door catch and installed a central lock kit in. You just leave the door handles in place and use the remote for locking functions.The door handles will still operate as per normal, just stops someone stealing your car by jamming a screwdriver in your lock and opening your door.
Later I will add a link to ones on trade me. You can also do this with an alarm too if you needed.

still doesn't fix your boot lock problem but it may be easier to find a boot latch with key rather than the whole matching set.

Let me know if you need to know any further.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent!

Yea no you're right, with the boot lock just being a basic button thing,, it wouldn't be too noticeable to replace the original. Being able to lock the main doors would be a good start anyway.

I've only recently acquired the car, and unfortunately the previous owner forgot to cancel the rego, so now it's expired and I have to get new plates etc. I don't think the door locks will be an issue, but I'm obviously keen to be able to lock the car.

Appreciate your advice, and yea if you can forward a link to the central locking device that'd be fantastic.

Cheers again,
James

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi James,

Will put up a link for the central locking later.
Regarding the rego, you can get the car back on the road with the existing plates, see a post in this nz forum for more details.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your help here Stravs, fully appreciate it!

Yea I'll checkout the Repco's central locking kits.

I had a read through the Re-registering page there, and that's really helpful. I'm not particularly attached to the current rego plates, (as the vehicle was registered in NZ in 1995 with the standard black type on silver plates), but if I'll save money in not having to buy new plates then that'd definitely be cool. I've got all the documentation etc so will give it a go.

Regarding the dead GTV; yea I asked the seller if I could grab the phone number of the buyer (who he'd said was from Ashburton) but apparently he didn't have it. So yea..

I gather the buyer was just after the glass, but the dead GTV did still have the original wheels, door locks, most of the dash board buttons etc, seat belts, and the driver's seat. (Seller had converted it into a track-racing car..) No rubber seals remained (as far as I could see) and there was some pretty major rust damage to much of the body. Bumper was gone, along with the lights. I think only the side indicators remained. He did however still have the engine, which would have been the most valuable part left, although I don't know what the glass would be worth.

So yea, I'm sorry I didn't at least grab the locks, side indicators and seat belts. Hopefully the buyer will list them if he's not intending to use them himself. Will be keeping an eye out on TradeMe

Cheers,
James

·
Registered
47 Posts
GTV door locks on TM

Hi, On TradeMe currently a guy is selling a whole lot of GTV parts including locks, lights etc. The door lock even has a key. I know they are hard to source.

I didn't buy the black GTV from Blenheim. If it was someone else in Ashburton I have no idea who it is. Any old GTV6 parts I had went to Stravs.

All the best with sourcing the bits for the GTV6.

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool thanks guys, yea i've put the GTV on hold at the mo, little bit of rust about the car which I'll have a welder sort out sometime soon. -Might need some new rubber seals.. Thanks for the offer there Stefmiesterb and for the notification there Mike.

Happy New Year, will stay in touch

Cheers,
James

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Do you guys realise that if you chance upon another 116 GT beit a V6 or 4 have a look at the inner (inside the car) rubbers because they are the mirror image for the opposite side exterior window and usually not shrunken because not exposed to the sun to same extent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts