Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been fighting this problem a while. The parking brake cable only pulls the right hand brake. The leftside moves only a little bit. The cable was changed a couple of years ago, but it did not change much. Recently the calipers were changed with IAP ones because of leaks. I have changed pads on this car many times as I have had it for about 15 years; it worked great for years. The parking brake is part of my city inspection so it has to work. Any help is appreciated.

Tom

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Sounds like the handbrake adjustor in the LH caliper is either wound right up or stuffed (ie the handbarke lever on which the cable pushes is locked solid so all the force goes to the other side).

Try backing off the pad adjustment screws to see if you then get some movement.

Failing this, does the LH lever move by hand? If so, its some sort of weird cable thing?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
The handbrake cable is pulling both of the handbrake levers on the L/R calipers. If one of the levers is stuck it could explain why one of the calipers is not functioning. It should be easy for two persons, one to pull the handbrake lever and the other observing the function on the calipers. I would expect that one of the caliper levers is not moving.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts