Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's finally time for my Restoration. I'm sure some people will be offended that I am getting rid of the stock driveline, but the car wasn't in the best shape anyway, and I'd have more fun doing the extra work, than just restoring it. I am putting in a 2.8L v6 bored to just over 3.1L and twin turboed. It should make 300 to 350 Hp to the wheels (should :D :) ) I am planning on keeping the De dion in the back with a BMW independent rear suspension mounted to the chassis like the stock trans. For the suspension , I am planning on coilovers in the front, and Koni adjustable shocks, with progressive rate lower springs in the rear. I'm not sure about the interior, but the exterior will have all the bodywork repaired, and a slight body kit, slight tint, and brighter headlights. Anyway I'm off to a start, so here are some pictures.

Here is the car in stock form:

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Engine bay getting cleared for engine removal.

The De Dion on the table and mostly taken apart. The lock nut holding the bearings in is held fast by the enemy known as rust.

Under the car without the De dion and trans

The trans broken down, but I can't seem to get the last bolt of the brake rotor off, as it is stripped now. I've been soaking it in penetrant and heating it, hitting it with a hammer, cursing, and even sweet talking it, but I'm running out of ideas.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
wow, looks like you have a fair amount of work on your hands with all the corrosion underneath, whats the plan with the body?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the corrosion is pretty severe, esp. in the front passenger floor pans. I am planning on fixing all of the corrosion, undercoating the bottom and wheels wells, then stripping the interior and probably putting in a full cage, dynomat, and then reupholstering it. I will be converting everything to painless and GM wiring, with a stand-alone, or piggy-back engine management. I haven't hammered out all of the specifics yet, but I'll make up my mind as I go.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Hey Boss,

Sounds like fun - good luck with it! (So, you have decided not to sell the car after all...? :confused: )

Good for you! Any way - this part is unclear to me:

...I am planning on keeping the De dion in the back with a BMW independent rear suspension mounted to the chassis like the stock trans.
1) Are you keeping the DeDion or throwing it out and installing the BMW independent rear trailing arms?
2) Are you keeping the Alfa transaxle transmission/diff. back there, or installing the BMW rear differential?
3) In that case; are you mounting the BMW gearbox up-front and dumping the Alfa tail-housing and dumping the Alfa drive-shaft - adapting the BMW gearbox to the Alfa motor with a clutch-assembly up-front?

Just curious about your plans?

Exciting to see somebody in the US go this route - the South Africans have been doing it for years! :D

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was planning on selling the car and picking up a GTV cheap and putting the full 535i driveline in it, but the GTV6 didn't sell, and now I'm driving the 535i so that project will have to wait. Since, no one wanted to buy the GTV6, and I ended up picking up an engine for almost free, so I decided to see what I can get away with and do a custom driveline. I am keeping the dedion, only instead of the alfa trans/diff in back I will be mounting a bmw diff (independent rear) like the alfa trans is mounted to the frame of the car. I will be doing an outboard brake conversion, and the trans will be in the front. It's actually a GM 2.8 v6 (with a T5 trans) that will be stroked and twin-turbo'd. Hopefully it won't be too hard to find a driveshaft and whatever other shafts that need to link up. I may have to make a custom adapter or get a custom driveshaft. We'll see after all the fun body and frame work is done.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the engine ready to pull, We weren't able to pull it today as my friend had a previous engagement. But we got alot done in the less than 2 hours we had to work on it. The only thing left to do is loosen the motor mounts and the bellhousing mount underneath. I'm dreading that as the bolts are quite rusted. I sprayed an ample amount of penetrant on them and will see next time I'm at the garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Man your bump stops are the only things not rusty. Why not save some money and buy something cheaper like a Ferrari ?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would be too easy. :D

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally the engine is out of the car. It wasn't too hard; It was actually harder to find time to work on the car. the driveshaft, shift linkage and most of the interior have been removed as well. The Dash wasn't hard either. Next are the headliner, trim, wiring and heater core, seats and carpeting. I have hit a rut getting the front headlights out and front fascia as I don't want to break anything. Hopefully I will get back to the car early next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got most the rest of the interior out. The floor pans and rocker panels are worse than I thought. The good news is that I won't have to do all that work to get the sound deadening crap out of the front as I will be putting in new floor panels :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
hello 5year plan

Good luck on your restoration. My team specializes on body work. Hugo almost finished a project that the body was in similar condition so I know that it can be done. Are you going to do the body work yourself?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I will start by building the roll cage, then cutting out the floor in sections. Luckily the underside, and rear of the car are not nearly as bad as the front.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think nobody noticed you're sentence about the GM 2.8....

Since i havn't seen any reactions like "if you loose the Alfa engine it is no longer an Alfa..."

Like your plans though, just make the car like you want it! Personally i would go for an Alfa engine but i can onderstand why you would put in another brand. Over here in Europe you can get a complete 164 24v engine for 500 Euros while on the other side of the atlantic this might be a problem....

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honestly, that is the only reason I am not using an alfa engine. A good 24v setup is going to run me like 15 grand, whereas with a GM motor it's only looking like 5 grand. Otherwise I would use a fwd 24v setup in the rear and make it rear engine :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
There was a 164 24v for sale here a while ago and that was a complete car for 750 Euros...

I bought a 1994 164 24v with 180.000km for 500 Euros, sold the 17" wheels for 250, took out the engine and ancillaries and got rid off the rest. my engine cost me 250 euros in the end. the car was on sale on our national internet salesplace (Marktplaats.nl - de advertentiesite van Nederland) but it wasn't stated as a 24v. i could see most of the license plate on the photo and checked with the RDW (DMV) for the exact type and year of th car. as soon as i heard it was a 24v i called the number on the ad and asked if it was a runner. that evening i collected it...

·
Registered
732 Posts
It is a shame that the few V6 24 valves Alfa engines in good conditions we have here at Europe, at the end are going to go to the USA or South Africa.

And just only for a few dollars!, sorry but is not rightfull.

I also want to be informed if you find a 3.0 24 valves in good conditions, maybe we can made business.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
totally understand where you are going with the gm motor. I still plan one day to put a rotary in an Alfetta.....you can imagine how popular that makes me with the purists :)

Your car, your money and your time....go for it :)....let them do to their cars what 'they' want to do. Its all in good fun anyway.

I tell you what though, I though alfas rusted in Aus....so glad we dont salt roads!!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the support, I've had to put the resto on hold as I have too many projects going on at the moment. But I am waiting for a tubing bender, and will start on the structural side of body work. I am planning on putting in a full cage and then cutting out the floors for new pans. I will work up and back from there.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think some investigation needs to be made into the new gtr,

I know it's awd with a rear mounted transaxle.

I dream of the day when we get cheap non registerable r35's here in Australia and we can swap the running gear into then 40 + year old gtv's.

Even so, I think the vg35 engine is probably common enough now, I think one of those would go famously in a gtv6 - especially with one of the many off the shelf bolt on turbo kits!..

lenus.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts