Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a Milano verde transaxle for my gtv6. The isostatic linkage is bent and trashed. Is it possible to use the regular gtv6 shift linkage? I assume not but figured I’d ask. Thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
You can replace the isostatic selector lever that goes into the transaxle with the one from your gtv6 and then use the original gtv6 linkage.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yes - have done this a couple of times. You have to split the case off the carrier plate to swap out the selector shaft, but not much more than that.

Reactions: gtv6george

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome I didn’t expect it to be that easy I was planning on rebuilding the transmission anyway so that shouldn’t be too bad at all. Is it possible to also use the gtv6 speed sender as well?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Likely no. Unless you have an 86 GTV6 with the inductive speed sensor, then maybe.
The Milano transmissions use a toothed pattern on the pinion shaft to send the speed signal. The GTV6 uses a gear drive to an electronic sender. Problem is that the speed drive (gear or tooth) is part of the pinion shaft, and swapping that means that you have to swap the ring and then set the differential for depth and lash (not a simple job). It can be done at home, and I have done it a couple of times, but not for the faint of heart.

Better alternatives:
  1. Use the Milano sender and amplifier and a Dakota Digital converter to drive the original speedometer. This will also allow you to adjust for the change in differential ratio. I am running this set up in my GTV6 with very good results.
  2. Use one of the more modern GPS units. Dakota may even have one that will drive the original speedometer. Easier set up, but won't give your speed in the tunnel.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
You can use your existing GTV6 input selector rod. Be careful when drawing out/rotating the 5/R fork and shaft on either box, if you remove it all the way the interlock pill and detent ball will fall out.

As Mark suggested, GPS sender will drive your original speedometer. I used one from AutoMeter in one of my cars. Very, very easy install and calibration. I think it was about $200 and took about 20 minutes to install. And as a bonus, you can run any wheel/tire combo and it'll still be accurate.

If the Verde trans is on the bench, it's a good time to open and assess the condition. Be sure to carefully check the 1st gear dog ring: it's commonly broken. You can replace with a standard 1st gear type and don't abuse it, it will be fine - or replace with a 2nd-5th type. The 2nd-5th type works well BUT it will significantly increase the effort require to select first gear from neutral until the parts are well worn in.

I have lots of transaxle spare parts and I have them all on the bench for a few rebuilds. Send me a PM if you need anything.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate all that Rob, I have 4 Spare transaxles and only one car. Don’t know how that happened but I guess I get carried away. One is an lsd out of a Milano which I plan to use. Two are out gtv6s both 1983 model years. And one I think is an alfetta box, but not entirely sure. How compatible are these boxes in terms of synchros etc? I belive the Milano Verde box Has longer gears and I think I’ve heard the alfetta box has shorter gears and the gtv6 is somewhere in the middle however I could be completely wrong. Also the internet is great and all but is there a good shop manual I can buy to walk me through the trans rebuild? Thanks for all the help again.
-George

·
Joe Elwell
196 Posts
I'm in the same situation - I have a Verde transaxle that I want to put in my 84 GTV6 along with the 3L Verde engine I'm rebuilding.

@racingswim2006 - I believe you mentioned at one point that there is a particularly nice set of gear ratios that can be made for this swap, using parts from both original and Verde transaxles. Is that right? Can you elaborate?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I will always recommend the car disc CD for manuals. It is amazing the amount of information that Alfa put out on repairing / rebuilding these cars. It is all there for you, plus fun stuff like adds and brochures too. It will provide you with torque specs, clearances, runout, etc.Both Milano and Gtv6

There are lots of pieces that will interchange between all the versions of transaxles, and some that won't. It is generally obvious when you have the parts on the bench what will work and what won't. (Bearing or shaft size)

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Appreciate all that Rob, I have 4 Spare transaxles and only one car. Don’t know how that happened but I guess I get carried away. One is an lsd out of a Milano which I plan to use. Two are out gtv6s both 1983 model years. And one I think is an alfetta box, but not entirely sure. How compatible are these boxes in terms of synchros etc? I belive the Milano Verde box Has longer gears and I think I’ve heard the alfetta box has shorter gears and the gtv6 is somewhere in the middle however I could be completely wrong. Also the internet is great and all but is there a good shop manual I can buy to walk me through the trans rebuild? Thanks for all the help again.
-George
George,
You should have plenty o spares BUT you won't have another 1st gear "Milano" type dog ring if the other boxes are early V6 and Alfetta. You may choose to convert. There are tradeoffs for both.

Shop manual is a great resource for rebuilding these.

Gear ratios more generally are as follows:
Alfetta - shortest overall gear set. 1 overdrive gear. USA had all 4.10 final drive
81 GTV6 had unique gear set with only 1 overdrive gear. 4.10 final drive
82-83 had 2 overdrive gears. 3.42 final drive
84-85.5 same gears as 82-83. 4.10 final drive
86+ GTV6 and Milano had different gear set with much taller first and second gear, nearly same 3rd. 4th and 5th same. 4.10 final drive on all GTV6 and Milano EXCEPT Verde which had 3.54. LSD on Platinum (4.10) and Verde (3.54) only.

If you have a BIG press, lathe, mill you can get creative with mixing and matching some ratios. But it's limited. Splines are different on Alfetta and V6 for input shaft. 1/2 cluster on input shaft for any transaxle are native to the shaft. 3/4 presses off hard. 5th/R splines differently Alfetta vs V6.
Pinion shafts have different spacers and support for 5th. Different speedo drive. Different pinion bearings. And other.

A stock Verde transaxle is a fine upgrade for street use especially from an 83. Just swap over your input selector rod.

Where are you located? I may send you a PM. I'm in the midst of rebuilding several transaxles right now, have all my tools out.

I'm in the same situation - I have a Verde transaxle that I want to put in my 84 GTV6 along with the 3L Verde engine I'm rebuilding.

@racingswim2006 - I believe you mentioned at one point that there is a particularly nice set of gear ratios that can be made for this swap, using parts from both original and Verde transaxles. Is that right? Can you elaborate?
Joe,
There's a few "hybrid" setups that work well. The most straightforward "hybrid" version of this requires Alfetta donor gears and some machining. For your car, with a hot 3.0, a Verde trans is a fine street upgrade. Some people prefer the short 4.10 but having driven many configurations, I prefer the 3.54 Verde final drive for mixed use when coupled with a strong 3.0. These engines are not too peaky and pull the taller gear no problem. Does it leave some meat on the bone in certain situations? Sure. But it's a lot nicer in most situations.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
George,
You should have plenty o spares BUT you won't have another 1st gear "Milano" type dog ring if the other boxes are early V6 and Alfetta. You may choose to convert. There are tradeoffs for both.

Shop manual is a great resource for rebuilding these.

Gear ratios more generally are as follows:
Alfetta - shortest overall gear set. 1 overdrive gear. USA had all 4.10 final drive
81 GTV6 had unique gear set with only 1 overdrive gear. 4.10 final drive
82-83 had 2 overdrive gears. 3.42 final drive
84-85.5 same gears as 82-83. 4.10 final drive
86+ GTV6 and Milano had different gear set with much taller first and second gear, nearly same 3rd. 4th and 5th same. 4.10 final drive on all GTV6 and Milano EXCEPT Verde which had 3.54. LSD on Platinum (4.10) and Verde (3.54) only.

If you have a BIG press, lathe, mill you can get creative with mixing and matching some ratios. But it's limited. Splines are different on Alfetta and V6 for input shaft. 1/2 cluster on input shaft for any transaxle are native to the shaft. 3/4 presses off hard. 5th/R splines differently Alfetta vs V6.
Pinion shafts have different spacers and support for 5th. Different speedo drive. Different pinion bearings. And other.

A stock Verde transaxle is a fine upgrade for street use especially from an 83. Just swap over your input selector rod.

Where are you located? I may send you a PM. I'm in the midst of rebuilding several transaxles right now, have all my tools out.

Joe,
There's a few "hybrid" setups that work well. The most straightforward "hybrid" version of this requires Alfetta donor gears and some machining. For your car, with a hot 3.0, a Verde trans is a fine street upgrade. Some people prefer the short 4.10 but having driven many configurations, I prefer the 3.54 Verde final drive for mixed use when coupled with a strong 3.0. These engines are not too peaky and pull the taller gear no problem. Does it leave some meat on the bone in certain situations? Sure. But it's a lot nicer in most situations.
Thanks for the advice Rob all good things to know. It’s about time I ordered myself a proper manual. I live in Cheshire Connecticut. I don’t think I’ll go crazy swapping ratios at least not yet. I have a 3.0 24v out of a 95 164Q that is destined for the car So at the least rebuilding the trans is a must.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts