Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can buy the test and reprogram set-up for these? Also, need documentation on building new wiring harness when the example I have is in-complete (specifically, missing the cold-start sensor wire from the thermostat housing... THX

·
Premium Member
14,534 Posts
They are analog and are not programmable.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI Ed - analog electronics are indeed "programmable" although its really more tweaking...I imagine that there had to be some tuning done in the race arena to tweak performance above stock street. Read an article in last months AO that said both Don Black (and son, Dennis(?)) did this...

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Easier said than done

Yes, but who knows how to do this? Don Black may have had access to Bosch proprietary documents to be able to do this. I have never seen any such documentation available publicly. I believe Greg Gordon knows what resistors to change on the PWB to alter the rev limiter setting. Anyone else know of any mods that they are willing to share?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also - I wonder about test equipment & documentation to QA work done on the electronics...AND as I said in the original post, I REALLY need something to guide building a replacement L-Jet wiring harness...

CIAO ALL

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to buy a wiring harness from someone who is parting out a car? You can use this as a model for a harness of your own construction.

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Yes, but who knows how to do this? Don Black may have had access to Bosch proprietary documents to be able to do this. I have never seen any such documentation available publicly. I believe Greg Gordon knows what resistors to change on the PWB to alter the rev limiter setting. Anyone else know of any mods that they are willing to share?
I know when DiMatteo & friends were developing their version of a performance L-Jet, they blew up a few motors in the process of getting things right. Hence, they weren't very anxious to divulge the resistor values..

Personally, if I were looking to modify the L-Jet today, I'd either go with a Megasquirt or some other real programmable system.

My .02,

bs

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I agree with Brian,

Tom Zat used to do some cool stuff with them, but he won't do it ant more.
What was done to the "Pandoras Box" mod that he sold??

·
Premium Member
14,534 Posts
HI Ed - analog electronics are indeed "programmable" although its really more tweaking...I imagine that there had to be some tuning done in the race arena to tweak performance above stock street. Read an article in last months AO that said both Don Black (and son, Dennis(?)) did this...
I know the difeerence between programming and changing resistors values, thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,534 Posts
I know when DiMatteo & friends were developing their version of a performance L-Jet, they blew up a few motors in the process of getting things right. Hence, they weren't very anxious to divulge the resistor values..

Personally, if I were looking to modify the L-Jet today, I'd either go with a Megasquirt or some other real programmable system.
I agree. Al Mitchell figured out the resistor changes and he uses Megasquirt on his V6's. You can find information on the internet to enable you to defeat the rev limiters. I think that Pandora's box also drives the injectors full on at high power.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Good Point 85gtv6,,,

And good question.

I personally want to know how to bring the Alfa V6 to its potential,,,

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Perfect Eric - much appreciated. This explains one of the disconnected senders (9 & 5) missing at purchase. Next on list is one other which is suspected to be oil related...

·
Administrator
17,371 Posts
Below is a photo I swiped off eBay a while ago. It shows the 'official' Bosch tester. It is basically an adapter that fits between the car's harness connector and the ECU. The 'tester' is a volt/ohm meter and a rotary switch that selects the various test parameters (voltage or resistance) of the each component. The same tests can be done individually with a standard VOM and a modicum of patience. The advantage of testing at the ECU harness connector is that one is also testing continuity of the wiring between the components and the ECU's harness connector.

The Bosch tester does not actually test the ECU, nor does it allow any re-programming. If all the component tests are OK but there is a still a starting/running fault the next step is to replace the ECU.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts