Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a GTV6 with a 3.0 litre with a floppy gearlever inspite of a isostatic linkage . Its connected to a twinspark 2 litre transaxle. The second gear has been difficult to find, jumping out occasionally after selection but now its started to jump out of reverse gear on reversing up a gentle slope after a longish drive as well.

What could be wrong with it? Is it time for a rebuild and can anyone suggest a source for parts.
Thanks in advance

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,624 Posts
I'd get underneath and see if you can determine if it's the shift linkage. It should be reasonably obvious if there's play and it's not going fully into gear (have a buddy work the shifter while you watch/feel at the transmission). If that's the problem, Performatek sells a rebuild kit for the isostatic: a properly rebuilt isostatic linkage should work really well.

Other possibilities I can thank of: if the transaxle or linkage were converted from the original GTV6 linkage at some point, it's possible it just wasn't set up properly. Also possible the transaxle mounts are shot and causing excessive movement.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I had the same problem with my '78 Alfetta GT.
Shift linkage bolts weren't 100% snugged and the linkage had slipped a little out of place.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Another external check would be the detent balls.These balls are spring loaded and and move in and out of a groove in the selector shafts .
www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=8910.0

The next step would be to open the transaxle and check and measure the selector forks

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers. Thanks . Will check externally. I think that the possibility that the linkage wasn't set up properly is very high. Will open up the gearbox only if that fails. The car is driving generally and quite well apart form these niggles and its only summer that it is time for it to be parked up. will have box opened up in summer if required

1 - 5 of 5 Posts