Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked to Tom (exception) a few ago. His GTV6 has died again.

What is the scoop on the ignition power module on the early GTV6s ?

Per Tom, the 83 and earlier cars have a silver cigarette package shaped
box near the coil. Tom has the coil and box from an 84 but is unsure if
they are compatible.

Anyone on the list really good w LJET ignition who might be able to
help a stranded v6er ?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've spent all day talking to Jim (Jack_L), Sam (SamW) and Greg Gordon, and the conclusions are as follows (perhaps helpful to others):

- The black plastic type ignition ECU controller mounted under the dash with 84 and later gtv6es is NOT compatible with the metal type in the engine bay for 83 and earlier, eventhough they seem to take the same connections

- Eventhough the coil is getting power, it will not necessarily spark. Spark will only occur when the current is cut off momentarily. This is not the case with a few rare cars like the Montreal. (see http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/cannon/sparky.html)

- 83 and earlier gtv6es do NOT have an ignition controller (small bosch thing underneath coil)

- If there is NO spark the following should be checked:
  • Fuses and corroded connections going to distributor, ecu controller, ignition controller, coil and resistor pack (if applicable)
  • Green wire going from distributor is actually a shielded (double) wire. It can short at the connector going into the distributor, apparently in a very sneaky fashion. Look very carefully at that connector and the way the wire goes into it.
  • Check if the coil is getting power. No power, no spark.
  • If this is a temperature related issue, it might well be the ignition ecu controller, which can reportedly have temperature sensitive issues (too hot/cold)
  • The coil is very robust. It's unlikely to be the coil, but they're cheap and available, so you can always test it. The ignition ecu controller is the most likely, and is probably the bad part in my case.
Attached are some pictures of a 83 and earlier ignition setup. The middle picture has a plastic 84 and later ignition ecu controller sitting on top of the thing it replaces, but is not compatible with.

Attachments

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,868 Posts
Interesting-in our market that silver box-which is a CDI unit by the way-is fitted to all GTV6`s right to the end. My belief is Alfa changed US market cars only and went to a conventional coil only system probably controlled by the L-Jet computer by incorporating temp and rpm input which the previous CDI system didn`t have. Done to reduce emissions I`d say.

Richard J

1 - 3 of 3 Posts