Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '84 is "ALSO dead at the side of the road," still, with what I suspect to be an ignition problem. (It dies after running for about a minute, but starts right back up, then dies, ad nauseum.)

So I've got a factory service manual for a Milano/75 and the schematic for the ignition system shows at least four microprocessors. I mean, just the ignition system has nearly as much wiring as my old '74 GTV had for the whole car!

Huh? :confused: Why is it this complex?

In looking through the first dozen pages of this part of the forum, it doesn't look like there are too many people griping about ignition problems, so I have to assume that the system is pretty reliable.

The thing is, without a wiring diagram for my specific car and something to show where all the ignition components are, this thing looks nearly impossible to troubleshoot. (Now I understand why they went to OBD systems!)

So here's the question: Has anybody simply bypassed the existing system and just run 12v to a conventional coil and to the distributor?

·
Registered
481 Posts
The System which is on the car is a proven BOSCH breakerless ignition system. It is very reliable, and consists of a: Hall Effect Sensor, Coil, Ignition Control Module (amplifier), and (if yours has it?) the spark advance computer. Generally the failure prone items are the hall sensor and the ignition amplifier (gets hot). The amplifier (ICM) is located near the coil, and is mounted to a block of aluminum. It has a 7 pin plug.

During the time, which it will not run, check to see if the fuel injectors are firing (with a test light, meter or otherwise). If they are, its likely an ICM issue or possibly the spark box (likely not tho...). If they are not being signalled, its likely a hall effect sensor, as this hall signal is used by the L-Jetronic fuel system to fire the injectors, as well as fire the spark plugs.

·
Premium Member
14,552 Posts
You could have a fuel supply problem. A pressure gauge T'd into the hose to the cold start injector is a good way to know that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts