Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the August issue of Alfa Owner, there is an interesting article entitled "The Secret Life of the Alfetta." It traces Alfettas in European Rallying and racing. It also provides some information on racing the GTV6 in the European Touring Cup. I am interested in any information that may be available regarding rallying efforts with the GTV6, which the article does not mention. I am particularly interested in what teams (both factory supported and private) that may have rallyed the GTV6 in Europe and what modifications may have been made to the GTV6s that were rallyed.

Thanks,

Galt Morgan

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
The site "www.gtv6-156gta.be", maintained by a Belgian enthusiast, has a wealth of information of the GTV6 including competition results.

Mail English page: GTV6 GB

Main page overall (in French): GTV6 FR

Rally page (in English): LaGTV6competitionEN rally

Rally page (in French): LaGTV6competition rallye

In general the French pages have more info, in time he translates the French pages into English, Italian, and Dutch.

There are also magazine articles in different languages to download.

Truly a shrine to the noble GTV6!

Enjoy! :D

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Hi,

Maldi´s links are very good! Hopefully more of the material comes in english too!

The group A GTV6s were raced in both asfalt racing and rally. The rally cars were very much groupA racing cars adapted for rally. Matter of fact a friend of mine owns such a car that was converted for rally use. However the highlight of the GTV6 racing history was on asfalt racing in Europe , France amd Germany in 82-85. Here you can go and check the results for this car these years, when it won over the opposition!

Part 5: 1982-1988 Group A years

Some Rally links can be found on Youtube if you ask for Yves Loubet,Bertrand Balas and Sandro Munari. Here a link:

Here a photo celebrating the car for being European Group A race champion in 1982:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
These pages (in German) also have some photos and details about racing GTV6s including rallies:

AUTODELTA Portal

Click on the triangle in the circle, then navigate to "Alfetta GT club" using the pane on the left.

The pages are poorly laid out but the information is there.

The Alfetta/GTV6/75 series of transaxle cars was very successful in European, Australian, and South African racing. Unfortunately there was no US racing program, so Alfa's success in these years in largely unknown in the US.:(

·
Registered
687 Posts
GTV 6 Gruppe A german production car masters 1984

This is my GTV6 prepared from Dr. Marko (now F 1 Red Bull technical director) 1983 and ready to go in its original form( no 4-valves 3 liters.... etc ) 2,5 liter 240 HP
Driver: Peter Oberndorfer, Franz Klammer
Team : Alfa Romeo Deutschland

Attachments

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Hi Ulrich,

Interesting you have one of the Oberndorfer cars. Probably not the one he totalled:) Do you have any present day photos of the car?

Here a link to GTV6 race history, also Oberndorfer.

LaGTV6competitionEN

G.K.

·
Registered
687 Posts
GTV6 Gruppe a

Hallo,

there were in total 4 chassis, i know three of them, two are complete cars and one spare chassis. All were special light weight chassis without ordinary numbers like series cars. What do you mean with totalled, ??? and from whom you have your information? there are only a smal circle of persons, who know the exact history of the german cars. They came not from Autodelta and they are the best ever prepared Alfetta GTV6 from Dr. Marko in Graz/Autrich. The foto is actual in its present conditiuon like new.

regards
Uli

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Hallo,

there are only a smal circle of persons, who know the exact history of the german cars. They came not from Autodelta and they are the best ever prepared Alfetta GTV6 from Dr. Marko in Graz/Autrich. The foto is actual in its present conditiuon like new.

regards
Uli
yes please - more photos - and some info to substantiate your claim of best prepared gtv6 (ie v's liugi's, gema, Andy Rouse's, Colin Bond/Alan Jones).

·
Registered
155 Posts
In Facebook search for Subitocorse, we have some pictures of Gtv6 rallying in Spain and Portugal.

In Spain Pep Bassas rent a Nocentini Gtv6 and then one from Gemma racing (Loubet´s car), another two Gtv6 for Peitos.

In Portugal Rufino Fontes whith a Luigi´s racing Gtv6 and another one for hillclimb.

Now in the rally Legend San Marino you can see old Gtv6 in action.

3:48

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Autodelta sold the tuning parts for the GTV6 2,5 Gr.A, but the teams did the tuning and building up the racers. The homologation for Gr.A decided how much the cars could tuned and altered. The European rules must have been the same for Euro series and the German series, so I dont think one was better than the other. The best spec however had the french series wich allowed more tuning. There the power was up to 280Hp out of the 2,5L.
Here by the way an ad for a rally car, with a good description:

Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV 6 2500 Group 4 for sale, classic cars for sale uk (Car: 140283)

Also here a picture scanned from the 83-84 Sebring exhaust systems catalogue from Austria. Its a GTV6 racer in front of their entrance, with the magazine LUI lettering. It could be one of the Marko cars. Sebring at that time offered exhaust system for the GTV6. I have it on my car still after almost 30 years. Reason is its so good and it has protective paint.

G.K.

Attachments

·
Registered
687 Posts
GTV6 Gruppe A

Its devinitly one of the cars from Alfa Germany , so Sebring was one of the Co-Sponsors in this time. Its a very early foto of the first prototyp , the later race outfit differred from this state.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
This is my GTV6 prepared from Dr. Marko (now F 1 Red Bull technical director) 1983 and ready to go in its original form( no 4-valves 3 liters.... etc ) 2,5 liter 240 HP
Driver: Peter Oberndorfer, Franz Klammer
Team : Alfa Romeo Deutschland

Klammer--the Downhill skier?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hallo Gabor,
nice report, thanks, this is my car , exactly the later outfit, the last was than with "PENTHOUSE" . Will be in Italy some days , after return i will take some fotos , hope the car is ready, was in bodyshop for some minor color works.

Uli

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello Ulrich !
As Gabor knows, I'm writing a book on Racing GTV6s, trying to recover the history of different racing chassis. I already found some interesting stories and I started to write tha book, but it takes many times. As you may understand, I'm highly interested by any pics or documents about your "LUI" car... You can contact me directly via my website (GTV6 FR). Many thanks ;)

To Gabor : hope everything is going well for you!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hallo RS 200,

I have all the documents , Laptimes, driving notices etc from the car. If i return from holidays, i will contact you via privat mail to follow this theme. I am involved so much in my GTAs in the moment, so i must look for this GTV6 affair.Please give me your mail via PM.

We will prepare the car in winter for the new german race series for original ex- DPM cars like Volvo 240 Turbo, BMW 635 , Rover Vitesse, etc .

best regards
Uli

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
rs200:

Nice to hear from you again, I am crossing my fingers about the GTV6 racing book, you must not give up!! Also I think contact with Ulrich is very fortunate for you as very few have insight into GTV6 racing!

Everything is OK with me, however the 3 cars have been parked for different technical reasons. A nearby race track has been upgraded lately so since long time we will take the racer for some testing. If it gives encouraging results we will participate in the last race this year. Time will show. A couple of photos of the track car. Its not a groupA car, but made much later from new. Also it has 3L 12V engine and 4 coil overs, so it would have never been approved according the old Gr.A rules.

Ulrich:

I look forward to some nice photos of your car, possibly showing some of the technology too. You mentioned about the Gr.A cars had special serial numbers. Could you tell something about how they go. I could not get any reason out of the serial number of the norwegian racer. Maybe your explanation would help. Normally the GTV6 serial numbers start with ZAR 116C... or ZAR 116CA.., however that car I saw had ZAR 116 00.
That would be an Alfetta 1,6! What happened?

Regards
Gabor K.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 102 Posts