Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience replacing a GTV6 headliner?

I bought a new headliner from IAP some time ago but then chickened out on installing it. I took it to a retired guy who does my seat upholstery yesterday and he does not want to do it. He thinks that the windshield has to come out. He was also concerned the the ribs in the IAP headliner are different in number and location. I plan to take it to another upholstery place but I would like to have some more knowledge before I go. My car has a sun roof.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
door seals, sunroof seals, rear seal easy to do.

front windshield seal is the issue. to make it look right, it will have to come out so the headliner can be wrapped around the lip.

the mid section is held in place with little metal teeth(on the roof rib)biting into the flap support running transversely across the roof. I have not see the other supports....

Depends on how bad yours is, but I was thinking of gluing a new liner to the old one without actually removing the old one (just down the middle where I have a big hole!)

new 'liner' would have a stiched edge to look good and extend nearly to the doors and windshield......

if you do find an easy way, let us know....

·
Premium Member
14,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. Mine is falling apart and it has big holes in it. I get bits of it in my eyes when I drive with the windows open.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I took mine to a pro, I know car headliners are BIG headaches, it took him 2 months to get up to speed, I also switched from white to black because of interior color and stain issues.

ncng

·
Banned
764 Posts
That's the only interior issue I have left with my '84 w/sunroof except it's just faded. I think I'll just re-dye it the original which appears to be an off-white. Tan front seats & door panels re-covered with vinyl which I prefer, new black carpet and the rear hatch cover re-dyed black and came out great. Fixed the dash cracks with a carpet style cover; Hardie Har Har!!

·
Premium Member
14,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took it to an upholstery shop in a rough part of town yesterday. They have a good reputation for quality. The estimate is $350.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I took it to an upholstery shop in a rough part of town yesterday. They have a good reputation for quality. The estimate is $350.
Other then maybe the gamble of the rough side of town, which I have made several times myself with good results, I think you made the right decision.

My thoughts,

ncng

1 - 8 of 8 Posts