Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy,

I'm in the process of rebuilding two grilles complete with all the headlight details. I seem to be flush on all the parts, except for one.

Each headlight has 3 screws for mounting/adjusting. Each of these is a different style. The style I'm short on is the simplest of the 3. Not the one with the spring... and not the style with the C-Clip. The simplest version that seems to be about 4mm with very fine threads, and about 2 inches long. Pic attached.

If anyone knows where I might find these new, that would be dynamite. If you have some extras you could part with, that would be deluxe too. I need 5 or 6 in all.

Thanks, Peter

Attachments

·
Banned
764 Posts
Let me check this week-end in my spares. I installed a new grille during my re-spray and I think I saved the old ones that were salvageable. I tried to sell my fresh re-sprayed front grille for cheap (only missing one grommet that could easily br epoxied in). Thought I'd keep for spare but tooo much stuff.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brooks,

If you do stumble across some extras, that would be deluxe!

Happy to pay for those. Or, let me know if you have any GTV6 needs... I have 2 1/2 GTV6 bone cars for spare bits.

Cheers, Peter

* I asked my Alfa mechanic to adjust my headlights so they were good for more than hunting Nightcrawlers. He said only bad things could happen, as the adjusting screws usually snap... and then I'd be even more screwed. So, the new plan is for me to create an entire grille assembly, and apply a heavy coat of grease to all the problem hardware. Then he can swap in a new grille w/o the threat of the bad stuff. Might as well do a second to have waiting for my project 24v GTV6 while I'm at it.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Peter,

No sweat. I'll try to scronge around today for these. Attached are a couple fotos of my spare professionally re-sprayed Front Grille. It only needs the one grommet replaced. I tried in vane to get the screw out but to no avail and the grommet finally yielded.

Regards,

Brooks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Nice work! I had 4 removed grilles to start with... 5, if you include the one still on my daily driver. One of them was too badly trashed to used for more than parts. So, if you need that metal cone to repair yours, I can oblige.

Two of my salvagable ones had similar issues, to yours. I was considering epoxying in a fresh metal cone. Or, perhaps even using a file on the vacant hole to make a square hole... and then using one of the plastic nuts that use the screw with the spring, to replace the metal problem child?

Actually, C-Clips are often known as 'Jesus Clips', up here. Why? What's the first word out of your mouth when you remove one, and it goes flying across the room... and you know you have an afternoon's work in finding that tiny rascal?

·
Banned
764 Posts
YUP! Jesus Christ ***^&^**## where'd that sumbitch go???? It's universal.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
A future lunar explorer is going to find all that stuff up there.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Peter,

No gottie! I went threw the multiple spare boxes, you know Alfaholics are synonymous with 'Hoarders' we are and I did not save these and I'm not one to chunk parts that I know are going to be unobtainable in the future. They had to have been junk. I do not throw in the towel at times when even I should.

Anyway, thought I'd leave with one more grille'm shot. I'm going to try to find something supplemental for these screws for future reference.

Ya know, if they had not down graded Pluto from a full planet we would not be in this mess and all the 'Jesus Clips' would be returned to their rightful owners.

Good Hunting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for checking your stash, Brooks. Your efforts are still very much appreciated.

I'm suspecting the rectangle above your grille is not a picture... but a window revealing what goes on in your backyard. :- )

In case it's of any help in your own effort, I was able to find replacements for those little wave washers and the 'Jesus Clips', down at the Fastener aisle at Lowe's. I have the part numbers on the packets, if that's of any help. If you lost the metal cone for your grille, I have one I can spare off my trashed grille.

Pluto, huh? Attention: ALFA Owners on Pluto... Please return any excess bits, at your earliest convenience! This would go a long way toward reinstating you to full Planet status.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Peter,

Try a good paint/body supply shop. They have a world of supplies that are compatible with our needs. You cannot believe what I've found there for all my cars; clips, fasteners, trim fasteners, etc. when restoring them. One just has to get their head out of their arse to be acceptable to something different kinda like women & autos from elsewhere, ya know. The adjustment screws cannot be proprietory to just these cars. My new front grille came with all the hardware req'd.

Peter, what 'metal cone' are you referring to in your post?? Thanks for the wave washer hint but, you're not going to believe this but the local hardware store here has a full service Nuts & Bolts aisle even metric and most galvies or stainless which is the only way I go. If not in stock they order it and takes only 2 - 3 days delivery.

I'll make you a 'horse trade' deal. If you send me a grommet for my spare grille, I'll check with Ben's Paint and Auto Supplies next time I'm in Gainesville for these headlite adjustment screws.

OK Eric, just for you I took another shot and it wasn't at 2 am. The fire extinquisher is 'handy' if something gets tooooo Hot! No reproducibles as sloppy seconds don't count. This is one of the most popular auto posters in Europe. Eat your hards out!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Peter,

Peter, what 'metal cone' are you referring to in your post??

I'll make you a 'horse trade' deal. If you send me a grommet for my spare grille, I'll check with Ben's Paint and Auto Supplies next time I'm in Gainesville for these headlite adjustment screws.
Hi Brook,

The metal cone I was offering may be the grommet you were referring to? You showed a blank hole on your plastic grille. I wasn't sure if that was the one of the three holes (per headlight) that had the swaged or molded-in metal cylinder with female threads? In each case, those would appear in the upper, inboard corner of each light socket. I should have an extra of those from my destroyed grille.

If my description was not clear enough, I can send a pic. Better to go direct for that:
[email protected]

Happy to do a horse trade. But if you have no luck in your visit to Gainesville, I'm still OK with sending you the grommet to finish your grille.

Peter

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Brook,

Is this the grommet you need to complete your grille? If so, I have an extra you are welcome to. Looks like some epoxy or JB Weld might bond it in place. You might want to use one of your headlight adjust screws to chase the female threads before installing. No sense asking the bond to do any extra work.

Let me know if this will help. I'll need your mailing address. Here's my e-mail, if there are any questions: [email protected]

Cheers,
Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Back from the black depths of page 8...

Brooks, do you want me to pack up that metal grommet to help repair your grille?? No charge. You can send me the cost of mailing.

Peter

·
Banned
764 Posts
Peter,

Please. Hold off and I'll notify you just in case there may be a couple of items I may need. Also, I did recently remove my front grille for something and checked out the holder screws you need. I'm getting ready to go on the 'hunt' for these adjuster screw replacements soon for future use for all of us just like the weatherstripping stuff. Man, that stuff worked great. Operation and water-tite is fantastic. That's what it's all about to preserve these cars. Alfa can't be the only ones to use these screws...

I've been jambed recently with getting some items done for the new purchaser of my '88 BMW E28 M5 that he requested I do for him at my suggestion - for payment of course. Good decision/timing on his part as well. Now the Bitrouble's giving me the shat's like she doesn't want to go to the beauty shop; aka re-spray & full make-over like the other girls.

I'll keep everyone appraised. Rome wasn't built in a day!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Brook,

Happy to hold fire on that. Let me know if you have some other GTV6 goodies I can help with, when you get there.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Peter,

Went round one today for the adjuster screw 'hunt' and hope to follow up next week. Came up with some good possibilities and will appraise of findings. Premature findings are a substitute of sorts to end the original problems.

Upon a detailed inspection, it appears these cone shaped metal inserts are not the best design and capture dirt and water creating the rusting problem. More to follow.

Cheers.

Cars, like women, aren't as desirable looking without makeup, are they??

Brooks

1 - 20 of 45 Posts