Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased the Grand Prix center console sold by Hackner of Germany? If so, how was the fit in the GTV6. Also interested if anyone is selling one (assuming it fits well)

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I have looked at it, but haven't bought it. It's not right for my car, which is a different sort of a GTV-6 Grand Prix. My car has the "Alfetta" style center console (no AC).

·
Registered
926 Posts
Is there a link to this somewhere? My pathetic search skills have not found anything...curious as to what it looks like, as my GTV6 restoration needs include a new center console.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Aah--thanks for posting that. Not a fan of how it eliminates the center vents, and not really in theme of what I'm doing with the car, either.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Here is what the dashboard looks like on my 1985 Grand Prix. This is not my car, but my interior is the same, except I don't have the plastic wood steering wheel and shift knob.

No A/C vents makes for a much more tidy center console.

When I want A/C in my Alfa, I drive the Red 164LS.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Is there a link to this somewhere? My pathetic search skills have not found anything...curious as to what it looks like, as my GTV6 restoration needs include a new center console.
I have a few used center consoles in good shape. You can e-mail me if you'd like to see pix. Mine are not the GP version... just the stock US issue design.

Peter
[email protected]

·
Registered
926 Posts
Thanks for the offer, but I do have a source already for a good used one--I was just curious about these.

As far as AC vents go--if a car doesn't have AC here in Scottsdale, your driving season is pretty short!! I'll put up with a few vents if a modest stream of cool-ish air comes out of them.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Thanks for the offer, but I do have a source already for a good used one--I was just curious about these.

As far as AC vents go--if a car doesn't have AC here in Scottsdale, your driving season is pretty short!! I'll put up with a few vents if a modest stream of cool-ish air comes out of them.

Have you upgraded your A/C with the later Tropic-Aire components found on '86 GTV6s (maybe '85s too?). Extra fan and cooling radiator that gets hidden under the glove box, replacing the earlier model's package shelf. Sanden rotary compressor swap-out doesn't hurt either.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Pretty expensive! If getting one you got to cut the plastic to fit a modern radio with a steel cage. If this modification is done I would think a up to date sound system would be installed.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Have you upgraded your A/C with the later Tropic-Aire components found on '86 GTV6s (maybe '85s too?). Extra fan and cooling radiator that gets hidden under the glove box, replacing the earlier model's package shelf. Sanden rotary compressor swap-out doesn't hurt either.
I don't have the Tropic-Aire, but I did put a Sanden compressor in. Seems to work well enough for what I need. The car will sleep through the really hot months (mid June-August), so as long as it works well enough to cool from 90-95 degrees, it should be fine. I don't really want to expose the new leather and new paint to the AZ sun in the middle of the summer.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I don't have the Tropic-Aire, but I did put a Sanden compressor in. Seems to work well enough for what I need. The car will sleep through the really hot months (mid June-August), so as long as it works well enough to cool from 90-95 degrees, it should be fine. I don't really want to expose the new leather and new paint to the AZ sun in the middle of the summer.
Quite understandable. If you decide to add the Tropic-Aire components in the future, I have a couple of extra sets of those bits that I'd sell.

Basically, a box that bolts up under the glove box (w/ fan and cooling radiator), plus a plastic plenum w/ accordion hoses that hook up to the two eye ball vents on each end of the dash. Plug the fresh air intakes on the firewall. A few extra hose connections under the hood to get fluids to the second cooling radiator, and you've got yourself a more serious A/C.

We have the opposite problem here in Vermont. We don't need the heater, as we know better than to drive these cars in winter road salt. Plus, there is only a couple of weeks in the summer when A/C is needed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to have a interior shop construct a 1-piece center console combining the A/C and radio units. It'll hold the original round GTV6 A/C vents, the aftermarket (Vintage Air) HVAC control unit, CD/radio player, and possibly cut-outs for voltmeter and oil temp gauges. Perhaps even a map reading ****pit light or two (not that any reads maps!)

I have a Vintage Air unit that the installer, in his effort to make the console look original, used parts of the original Alfa HVAC case and fascia. The set-up prevented flow from the center A/C output of the unit, causing the core to constantly freeze-up. The cost of fabricating and covering the console is less then the Hackner console, although Hackner is made of sheet metal and is a full center/floor console.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts