Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the wheel bearings and raceways on the front of my 1983 GTV6 and realized that the seals I received are too large. I measured the hub and the outer bore is 2.20 in., whereas any parts website shows it to be 2.559 in.

Any suggestions as to where to find the proper sized seals would be greatly appreciated. Everytime I think I am going to have it on the road, something pops up.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Putting complete trust in the vendor's vehicle fitment selection, I just yesterday ordered Centric 417.90005. Based on this thread, and further searching this morning, I now have low confidence that this is the correct part. No dimensional information can be found for it.

So here are some findings from this morning:
RockAuto lists National or Timken # 1973 for both GTV6 or Alfetta (these both use the same inner bearing and are suspected of using the same wheel bearing seal). These seals list the 2.559" dimension you noted. The Rock Alfetta application also lists Timken 494117 (as does AutoZone, for Alfetta only though) and AutoPartsWarehouse lists this seal as:1.65 in. shaft size; 2.21 in. bore; 2.22 in. outer diameter; 0.24 in. width.

Summit Racing lists Timken/Auto Extra #224210 for both the Alfetta/Milano/GTV6 (makes sense). I could not find dimensions.

AdvanceAutoParts lists #224010. Could not find dimensions, nor the differences with #224210.

So for the GTV6, it appears the #224210 should fit and the #494117 is probably good as well.

Someone should chime in here shortly with a definitive answer. And of course, no listing could be found at either Centerline nor IAP.

Good luck. I'll be listening intently.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
What are the original factory part numbers and metric sizes? There is a good chance I might have something, as I have boxes full of seals that I have never found the enthusiasm to identify.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Good question Alex.
Alfetta(early) w/27mm stub axle:
'Seal Ring' 40mm dia ID

Alfetta(late) w/29mm stub axle:
'Seal Ring' 42mm dia ID

I would suspect GTV6 uses identical seal as late Alfetta (42mm=1.65")

Might want to look at this thread. Seems IAP had them at the time.

Lot of people running GTV6s here on the board. Someone has to pipe up soon, no?

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Ahhhh .... are those the shallow metal cups with the bonded rubber seal and the internal spring? If so, those are somewhere else and are going to take a while to dig out. I'll make a note and update in due course. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
In the U.S. the seals are federal mogul (used to be national) and can be sourced from Timken. I don't recall the part number but the dimensions are 42 x 56 x 7. I have used these.

Also used the Corteco seals

Greg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 224210 is for the rear. The specs on the 494117 appear to be correct. Centerline has a seal for the front that only shows specs for a 29mm spindle, which is what in on my GTV6. I am going to call them tomorrow and see if I can dimensions on the seal. If not, I will give the 494117 a try.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Yes, you're right. Upon closer examination, both Summit and Advance list the seal #224210 as a rear wheel bearing application. The main reason why this detail slipped by me is that, the de Dion has sealed rear wheel bearings and therefore has no rear wheel bearing seal. What the 224210 actually is for, is unknown. Perhaps it is for the TA output shaft seal.
I'll report back once the Centric seals arrive, probably early next week.

Please post a link to the CL part. I had looked earlier but could not find it.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Thanks. Not sure how I missed it the first time, looking under 'Transaxle cars . . " and also searching "wheel bearing seal".
Assuming you are ordering these, your search is over. I'll post about the Centric seal next week regardless.

Gerry

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Centerline part# OS425 appear to be the correct size. I have placed an order and will post back with the results once I receive them.

Scott

·
Registered
41 Posts
Scottr: I haven't read all the responses from your post, but if you are still looking for the right seals for the front wheel spindles on your GTV6, I went through the same fiasco with all the vendors, including IAP, Centerline and others.

I do have the right size and part number for the correct seals. I've used them and they have been working fine for almost 20,000 miles now.

The original front wheel bearing rubber lip seals, were made by SKF P/N 15850 (W:8 mm x ID: 41 mm x OD: 56 mm) or Goetze P/N 827N42-56-7A.

The seals I used are AKRON P/N: 13421/P 42mm x 56mm x 7 mm (actual free state dimensions: 40.81 x 56.18 x 6.98 mm)

The short story on why all sources have it too large is because somehow back in the late 1980's, someone entered in some global mainframe database the dimensions of the 1970's GTV seal instead of the GTV6, and as any owner of a GTV6 knows by now, the mixup with GTV and GTV6 will outlast the cars!

Regards,

Trooper

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trooper, thanks for your feedback. I did have success with the seals from Centerline. Of course, the brake pads I purchased from a chain auto parts store did not fit. I stuck the old ones back in since they were barely worn because I was tired of hitting roadblocks and not being able to test drive the car. A few more issues to tackle and then hopefully it will be roadworthy.

Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts