Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The truth is, as long as the bearings are not tight, and are lubed, they all work for a long time. Never had a problem with front wheel bearings in any of our Alfas in the decades of ownership and driving. Did have a defective Milano rear wheel bearing replaced on warranty not long after we bought it new, but otherwise...
The Milano / GTV6 Chassis has developed a reputation for eating front wheel bearings during endurance races. It is a granted that's about as extreme a test as they will get. But I figured I should learn how to set them so I can do it once and forget about them until they need repacking.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So I checked with my resident expert Tom Sahines to see what them came up with on their race Milano.

Here's his intructions:

"Lay a hammer on the tire at 1:00 if the wheel turns then tighten the wheel bearing nut until the wheel no longer turns. Then back off the nut to allow the cotter pin to be inserted. On the GTV and Milano they only had one hole for the cotter pin so adjustment was only available in 1/2 turn increments so sometimes the wheel will have a slight amount of play when adjusted correctly."

I tried this and it tightened them up but they still feel a little loose, and I can move the washer with a screwdriver. I did this and will see how they do.

On my GTV6 I have at least two holes in the spindle so I didn't have to loosen the nut much to insert the cotter pin.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

21 - 23 of 23 Posts